Should I upgrade my T2i for 7D?

HD Video Cameras, microphones, greenscreens etc.

Should I upgrade my T2i for 7D?

Postby fireskies on 08/31/2012, 5:56 pm

Hi everyone.

I've had my T2i for about 2 years now and While I love my camera, I'm wondering if it might be time to upgrade. The reason I've even been thinking about it is because I just started my third year of film school and They had us try out the 60D's the other day and with minimal effort I noticed a tremendous leap in video quality from what I am used to. I asked about it and they told me that cameras like the 60D and 7D have a better sensor than the T2i. Now I don't even know how much I could get for a T2i, obviously not enough to cover an upgrade, but it could shave the bill down a little. but the reason I'm not sure about upgrading is that I've grown to appreciate the skill and the know how of a director to be able to compose and light well, over the quality of the equipment. That said, I don't want my junior project or especially my Senior Thesis to suffer because they were shot on an amateur camera.

Let me know what you think,
Thanks
fireskies

Re: Should I upgrade my T2i for 7D?

Postby zombie-walker on 08/31/2012, 7:14 pm

WHA!?!

Wow, whoever has been telling you this is lying beyond belief! The 7D, 60D, t2i (550D) t3i (600D) and t4i (650D) Have all the same sensor. They're is nothing different about how they shoot, they all do the same tricks and the same trades. The only thing and I stress this highly. The only difference is that 7D can do pal 25 FPS, and the 7D/ 60D have a wider ISO range. Which is probably what your referring too. I myself have contemplated many times on upgrading to said 60D (from my t3i) but honestly there is no difference. The wider ISO range and being able to take faster pictures are small issues compared to the awesome power you have in your t2i. IF you wanted to upgrade I may I suggest 5D Mark 2 / 5D Mark 3... or go for a red, may it be a scarlet or blackmagic's camera (2.5K raw)

The issue lies in lighting and getting the right lighting to get your exposure properly. People are still using and holding dearly onto their t2i because it works, and you don't need to upgrade. If your really concerned about your ISO range try out magic lantern, (link below) I've had some issues getting it to work with my t3i but I've heard from friends it works wonders.

(link you need) http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magi ... mware_Wiki

I hope this has been some help.
zombie-walker

Twitter: https://twitter.com/michaelmalko

Postby Rob Neal on 09/1/2012, 2:27 am

I agree with Zombie Walker. The only major difference between the 550d and the 7D is the alloy body and semi-pro fittings. If you want to upgrade properly, go for the 5DmkII. It's rather a lot more, but you get a lot more bang for your buck. As the mkIII is out now, many people are upgrading, so mkII prices are falling somewhat.

I would be cautious of using Magic lantern though. It has had problems and has been known to fry the electronics, and using it will invalidate your Canon warranty.
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby tony on 09/2/2012, 2:09 am

No, stick with the T2i and upgrade to a video camera, like the AF100 or the Mark III anything less you might as well keep the T2i. Trust me i work with DSLRs a lot. They are all the same. The real difference is the glass. Regular canon and tamron or sigma stuff is ok. If you want to really make your movie pop I reccomend Nikkor lenses. And if ur feeling fancy and u have the money I reccomend CP lenses. Other than that, ur good.
SC C4D Material Pack:
http://3docean.net/item/surface-clone-c4d-materials/4527861

Visit me on Videohive: DVNTart
Availible for Freelance? Yes
tony

Postby TTDS on 09/2/2012, 5:41 am

T2i to 7D is a terrible upgrade ^.^
Try to go for something from sony or a 5DMK3 for about 1000 $ more.
Especially video wise the 7D is very very similar to the t2i.
TTDS

Postby Rob Neal on 09/3/2012, 2:36 pm

The MkIII offers very little over the MkII with regard to video functions, and is over £1000 more.
The AF100 is another 'sensor-in-a-box' along the lines of the RED and Blackmagics. They produce beautiful quality, but are still very slow to set up and use. If you want your images to really show, forget Nikon and use Zeiss

If you want a proper video camera, go for something like the Sony EX3 or F3
"Experience is what you have after you've forgotten their name. - Milton Berle"

http://www.robneal.co.uk
Rob Neal

Postby tony on 09/3/2012, 6:28 pm

Rob Neal wrote:The MkIII offers very little over the MkII with regard to video functions, and is over £1000 more.
The AF100 is another 'sensor-in-a-box' along the lines of the RED and Blackmagics. They produce beautiful quality, but are still very slow to set up and use. If you want your images to really show, forget Nikon and use Zeiss

If you want a proper video camera, go for something like the Sony EX3 or F3

I think the Mark iii is a viable choice. With the reduced moire, reduced noise, and high bit rate intra-frame recording and flat gamma settings you can prob shoot some very very high quality movies on it.

The AF100 Is damn good. I just used it to shoot a concert and I love it. I have shot with both CP lenses and Nikkor lenses. Ans as a huge fan of CP lenses I gotta tell you, that Nikon stuff did not let me down. Lens wise Nikkor and CP stuff (for me) is above even L-series glass. So that speaks volumes. Oh and the AF100 was a breaze to set up. I had only 30 min to set up before the concert without ever using the AF100. I got the hang of it quick and it was a breeze setting up. Plus onboard audio is pretty good also! I was surprised!
SC C4D Material Pack:

tony

Postby fireskies on 09/3/2012, 7:38 pm

Thank you guys for your responses. I talked to one of the sales reps at B&H the other day and they told me basically exactly what you guys have mentioned. He said even the 5D MKII wasn't even a worthwhile upgrade since the video quality is so similar. And right now I'm not trying to jump to something quite so advanced or expensive as a RED or Blackmagic system. So I'll stick to my T2I. However I do think I will be searching for a nicer lens to add to my collection. a little while ago I bought the 50mm f1.8 and that has tremendously helped my closeups and eve medium shots, but I'm dead in the water when it comes to a standard wide angle. All i've got is the kit 18-55 which seems to just flatten everything out. So I think I might look into a nice wide angle CP lens.

Thanks for your comments.
fireskies

Postby tony on 09/4/2012, 11:28 pm

HAHAHA i think u better do research first. A CP lens runs for about 3k each. and they are primes not zooms so yeah. If u can't afford a 5D iii your prob cant do a CP lense. I suggest standard canon lenses, for webstuff they look alright.
SC C4D Material Pack:

tony

Postby fireskies on 09/5/2012, 10:55 am

oh I know very well cp’s are prime. I don't really like zoom lenses in the sense that they seem like a Jack of all trades but master of none. also I managed to find some Zeiss wide angles for under 1k even at places like b&h and adorama. regardless I may still go with regular canon lenses. the thing is, these projects aren't only meant for the web. we'll be screening them for the whole department and their colleagues. so it has to be of a bit higher quality.
fireskies

Postby tony on 09/5/2012, 12:19 pm

Zoom lenses are fine for DSLRs. Tamron and sigma make some real good glass thats on par with L-series glass.

A CP lense on aT2i is a bit of over kill unless you NEED a declicked locked focus ring for some cinematic stuff. The thing is CP lenses resolve at like 4k resolution. The T2is sensor will never use that sharpness especially with line skipping and all that..

I think the best thing for T2is are standard canon lenses. If you want zeiss perhaps a cheaper photo lense will do from them. Good luck on the hunt!! :D
SC C4D Material Pack:

tony

Postby jforge on 11/8/2012, 11:40 pm

Surprised at everyones reaction to this upgrade topic... I own a t3i and im about to upgrade. After my research (being that I'm in the market for video) I like the Sony Alpha 99. First off Its a full frame camera. In my opinion its sharper then the 5d mark III and has the option to shoot in 60fps in 1080p (canon doesn't). Sony also developted its own XLR adapter for pro audio. Did I mention it's $500 cheaper! I need a camera with 60fps at full HD with a full frame sensor.
Forgehouse Films
jforge

Twitter: jasonforge

Postby tony on 11/9/2012, 1:15 am

jforge wrote:Surprised at everyones reaction to this upgrade topic... I own a t3i and im about to upgrade. After my research (being that I'm in the market for video) I like the Sony Alpha 99. First off Its a full frame camera. In my opinion its sharper then the 5d mark III and has the option to shoot in 60fps in 1080p (canon doesn't). Sony also developted its own XLR adapter for pro audio. Did I mention it's $500 cheaper! I need a camera with 60fps at full HD with a full frame sensor.

I hear bad things about the Alpha 99. I hear it's not really worth the money. For us diehard indy guys on a budget, nothing beats the GH2... nothing! sharpness, hackability, codec, and price. Can't beat it. I would take an old Gh2 over any new canon, sony or panny.
SC C4D Material Pack:

tony

Postby jforge on 11/9/2012, 9:37 am

tony wrote:
jforge wrote:Surprised at everyones reaction to this upgrade topic... I own a t3i and im about to upgrade. After my research (being that I'm in the market for video) I like the Sony Alpha 99. First off Its a full frame camera. In my opinion its sharper then the 5d mark III and has the option to shoot in 60fps in 1080p (canon doesn't). Sony also developted its own XLR adapter for pro audio. Did I mention it's $500 cheaper! I need a camera with 60fps at full HD with a full frame sensor.

I hear bad things about the Alpha 99. I hear it's not really worth the money. For us diehard indy guys on a budget, nothing beats the GH2... nothing! sharpness, hackability, codec, and price. Can't beat it. I would take an old Gh2 over any new canon, sony or panny.

The GH2 wouldn't be on my radar cause of its sensor size. The alpha 99 holds a full frame sensor. I would even go as far to say that the NEX7 is on par or better than the GH2 (at around the same price). Overall I need a full frame sensor and panasonic DSLR camera don't have that.

NEX7 footage
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/36845339[/vimeo]
Forgehouse Films
jforge

Twitter: jasonforge

Postby tony on 11/11/2012, 2:03 pm

May i ask why you need a full frame sensor? Other than low light shooting the Gh2 is better in everyway to any canon DSLR
SC C4D Material Pack:

tony

Postby rwernyei on 11/15/2012, 7:42 pm

I too will agree with Tony. The GH2 outperformed them all.

http://www.zacuto.com/shootout-revenge-2012
rwernyei

Postby Ldooche on 11/16/2012, 10:30 am

I would stick with the T2i and get another lens.

According to Consumer Reports magazine the best 2 DSLRs are:
#1. Canon 60D
#2. Nikon D7000

I think the 7D was third (not sure though)
I forget the others after - I have the magazine somewhere. Keep in mind this is for the pro-entry level cameras. The Mark 5d was not a consideration as it is in another class.

The only sensible upgrade, as Rob stated, would be a Mark 5d.

LD
Ldooche

Postby Sweetamber on 11/18/2012, 2:07 pm

T2i is very old. So, I think you should upgrade.
If you don't have more money to spend, you should try T3i, wich has the same sensor as 7D.
If you have money, go for 5D MK III.
Sweetamber

Postby AshleyAshes on 11/19/2012, 3:12 pm

I don't see the point in upgrading. If you look at the side by side comparisons, T2i, T3i, T4i, 60D, 7D, they all get almost the same ISO/noise, moire and compression results. Some have marginal improvements over the other but it's not worth buying a whole new camera for.

Sure the T3i, T4i and 60D have flip out screens, which can be great to add flexibility, I don't think it's worth replacing the T2i. Same for the T4i having autofocus. Or how the 60D and 7D both let you dial in a color temperature aat will when the T*i series won't let you do it. These are things worth considdering when buying a NEW camera but make for weak arguements when replacing an older camera like the T2i. So you should certianly considder these things if you want to buy a SECOND camera and keep using the old one, but otherwise, meh.

I say stick with the T2i unless you want a SECOND camera for shooting. Save your money for the eventual purchase of a 6D or 5D, till then, buy lenses. ...And don't buy any EF-S lenses, you may wanna go even farther with this and EF lenses will go on full frame bodies, C100/300/500 bodies and even RED Scarlet/Epic cameras if you get the EF mount model.

The 50mm EF f/1.8 II lens, for like $100, now THAT is a great lens for any Canon DSLR shooters kit. Look at getting one of those.
AshleyAshes

Postby tony on 11/20/2012, 2:17 am

All DSLRs suck, i mean they are the worst videocameras ever... perhaps because they are not. Features are all lacking on all of them and a flip out screen is not something to base ur purchase on. Because DSLRs are so tricky you can't go by what they have because they are not video cameras to begin with. Instead go by what they CAN produce. And believe me i shot with all the DSLRs and the GH2 is by far the best, hands down. No contest.

Secondly to compensate for audio shoot on a portable recorder. Lastly is lenses, don't buy em. They all suck. Once you use Zeiss, Leica or Nikkor you will never go back to anything less. So my advice is to just rent em. 20 bucks for a weekend shoot is a good deal.
SC C4D Material Pack:

tony

Postby m1cst4rr on 11/21/2012, 3:34 pm

AshleyAshes wrote:And don't buy any EF-S lenses, you may wanna go even farther with this and EF lenses will go on full frame bodies, C100/300/500 bodies and even RED Scarlet/Epic cameras if you get the EF mount model.

Interesting point since none of those cameras features a 35mm ff sensor.

If anything I would recommend not buying lenses which don´t feature manual f-stop control (which is pretty much every lens mady by and for Canon EF(and S) mount) if you intend to use it solely for video work.
m1cst4rr

Postby AshleyAshes on 11/22/2012, 6:02 am

m1cst4rr wrote:If anything I would recommend not buying lenses which don´t feature manual f-stop control (which is pretty much every lens mady by and for Canon EF(and S) mount) if you intend to use it solely for video work.

Those lenses are also absurdly expensive relative to someone who's best camera is a crop frame DSLR.
AshleyAshes

Postby jax_rox on 12/5/2012, 12:34 am

AshleyAshes wrote:Those lenses are also absurdly expensive relative to someone who's best camera is a crop frame DSLR.

Grab some Rokinon cine lenses, they're not all that expensive.

Hoenstly, as I recently said in another thread, a hacked GH2 kicks the crap out of every other DSLR. And the sensor size isn't that far from S35/APS-C. I shot on a 5DmkIII for the first time in a long while the other day and I was all out of whack; we were shooting on Compact Primes, and I'd stick on an 85mm, expecting an 85mm and end up with a similar frame size to a 50mm....

I'm used to 35mm film, Alexa, RED etc. where an 85 is an 85... Anyone who asserts that full frame is better than APS-C or m4/3 simply for the fact that the sensor is bigger doesn't know what they're talking about ;)

I'd take a hacked GH2 with an adapted lens mount and a rented set of Ultra Primes over a 5DmkIII with Canon L lenses any day.

That's probably the peak of the DSLR quality though for now, up from that you're looking at Blackmagic - which a 4/3 Blackmagic Cinema Camera with a PL adapter will be my cheap camera of choice from here on out. It's no RED or Alexa, but it craps all over any DSLR, at a similar price to a 5d...
jax_rox

Postby AshleyAshes on 12/5/2012, 11:06 am

jax_rox wrote:I'm used to 35mm film, Alexa, RED etc. where an 85 is an 85... Anyone who asserts that full frame is better than APS-C or m4/3 simply for the fact that the sensor is bigger doesn't know what they're talking about ;)

Uhh... The Red One and Scarlet have an APS-C seized sensor and the Red Epic still has a crop factor of 1.3 with it's APS-H sized sensors... Most digital cinema cameras actually crop to 1.6... Cause, well, so did FILM cinema cameras.

For some guy who's 'Used to 35mm film...where an 85 is an 85' you, er, do know that 35mm motion picture film is smaller, at about 22mm x 16mm vs the 36mm × 24 mm size of 135 'full sensor' photographic film... Right? ...Yeah... You don't... You really shouldn't do this whole 'Some people don't know what they're talking about.' thing when you don't know either...
AshleyAshes

Postby jax_rox on 12/10/2012, 1:53 am

AshleyAshes wrote:Uhh... The Red One and Scarlet have an APS-C seized sensor and the Red Epic still has a crop factor of 1.3 with it's APS-H sized sensors... Most digital cinema cameras actually crop to 1.6... Cause, well, so did FILM cinema cameras.

That's exactly my point. Read my post again, my whole point was the fact that traditional 35mm motion picture film, RED, Alexa, F3 etc. etc. etc. all have APS-C/S35 sensors that are smaller than full frame. Anyone who says a 5D is better than a cropped sensor because the 5D's sensor is bigger, or 'full frame' doesn't know what they're talking about. Many have shot great looking films on S16 before, a sensor size smaller than that of even a GH2.

You really shouldn't do this whole 'Some people don't know what they're talking about.' thing when you don't know either...

You really shouldn't do this trying to pull apart someone's post thing when you obviously failed reading comprehension in high school.
jax_rox

Next

Return to Production Gear