after effects alternatives.

Audio production, MS paint, Call of Duty, etc

after effects alternatives.

Postby vince87 on 02/10/2016, 10:43 pm

The more i use ae the more i get sick of it. It seems to me that the adobe is not making a good job at all to keep the software competitive and advanced. From time to time they give you some nice upgrades, like the camera tracker (which is nice but frankly too limited), but if i think about it, ae is still plagued by the same huge problems it had when i first started using it (cs 3). It's super slow, layer and precomposition workflow just doesn't work for very complex projects, the graph editor is shit, the particles sistem is from the 90' ecc ecc ( and i am not the one complaining http://www.sandervandijk.tv/after-effects-features )

every time i hopen it, i have the feeling i am working on my win95 computer from my childwood. I totally lost hope in adobe

So what are the alternatives? ( i mean another software that can be used for compositing and 2d animations )

is hitfilm the only choice?
vince87

Re: after effects alternatives.

Postby plae57 on 02/11/2016, 6:29 am

Take a look at Fusion. It is a great FREE compositor but it is lacking one thing. A 3D camera tracker. There are alternatives both free and for $$$. I purchased SynthEyes ($499) for my 3d camera tracking. I am in the process of moving from After Effects to Fusion for everything but motion graphics and am finding the journey quite fun. After a month of using it, I will use it as my default go to compositor in all future VFX projects.

Fusion is a different beast than AfterEffects as it is node based. But for VFX, node based is the way to go, and that will become very apparent after you use it for a while. The learning curve is not that bad, but I have used node based compositing in Blender since Cycles came out (Blender by the way is one of the free camera tracker options you can use with Fusion). The biggest weakness is the number of tutorials available. I have literally watched every one I have found on youtube, and that includes several that were not in my native tongue. There are enough to get you started, but nothing like what is available for After Effects. This is also true for Boards like this one. The two Fusion boards I have found are the BMD board and one called "we suck less" And neither is anywhere near as active as VCP.

As for 3d, well I have nothing but thumbs up for that in Fusion. Building virtual sets and set extensions in insanely simple. 3d model manipulation is simple. I use the models from Jet Strike and have the ability to animate every single piece of the model independently or with other meshes. The particle system is very powerful and can be used in full 3d mode where it is actually part of the 3d scene, or 2d which is added as a post effect (much like After Effects and Trap code). It has flairs, moving backgrounds, well the list just goes on forever.

Pros: everything
Cons: very limited documentation, no integrated 3d camera tracker (though it has a very powerful 2d tracking system).

I got turned on to Fusion by the PD in my son's movie (American Dirtbags http://www.americandirtbagsthefilm.com/ NSFW!!), then a little later by Farmfield here in this forum. Farmfield is a huge proponent for node based anything. Take a look at Fusion, it might be what you are looking for.
plae57

Postby Farmfield on 02/11/2016, 7:32 am

For motion graphics and alike, Fusion is the schnizzle. Here's two Element-type setups I've done, 100% Fusion without plugins...

For motion graphics...

Lots of great tutorials at cmiVFX...

*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby ElDirector on 02/11/2016, 9:51 am

I have the same feelings as the OP. I feel like I've outgrown AE for the kind of projects I'm doing now. I switched to Fusion and produced a VFX heavy short to teach myself how to use it, and since switched to Nuke for the integrated camera tracker, a more organized flow window, and proliferation of tutorials. At the same time, I also switched to Avid for editing, so now the only Adobe product I use is Photoshop :) If you're wanting a free compositor, you essentially have Fusion, Natron (A Nuke clone, but lacking some features) and Blender. Play around with them and see what works for you :)
ElDirector

Postby vince87 on 02/11/2016, 11:20 am

thanks for the suggestions.

Since compositing for me it's a secondary job i am more interested in motion graphic features.
Are you able with fusion to do works like this one? https://vimeo.com/45822424 (the 2d part, and the charachter)
vince87

Postby plae57 on 02/11/2016, 2:53 pm

vince87 wrote:thanks for the suggestions.

Since compositing for me it's a secondary job i am more interested in motion graphic features.
Are you able with fusion to do works like this one? https://vimeo.com/45822424 (the 2d part, and the charachter)

Yes, there is nothing in that video you could not do with a similar amount of effort with Fusion. If you had 2d character animation I might think a little differently. The puppet tool (and available plugins) make After Effects a perfect tool to use (IMHO), and I do not think there is a similar tool available in Fusion.
plae57

Postby vince87 on 02/11/2016, 9:20 pm

plae57 wrote:
vince87 wrote:thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, there is nothing in that video you could not do with a similar amount of effort with Fusion. If you had 2d character animation I might think a little differently. The puppet tool (and available plugins) make After Effects a perfect tool to use (IMHO), and I do not think there is a similar tool available in Fusion.

and what about nuke? which is better for motion graphic? fusion or nuke?
vince87

Postby Farmfield on 02/11/2016, 9:44 pm

Fusion is way "better" for mograph and Element 3D type setups than Nuke is simply due to the OpenGL renderer in Fusion. You also have way better tools for manipulating things in 3D, like replicators and such.

Fusion is also a smaller step from AE in regard to learning - and when you know Fusion, you more or less know the basics of Nuke and can take it from there if it comes to that. :D

But for core compositing, handling footage, color, channels, keying, doing projections, object removal, Nuke is way beyond Fusion - so if I had to chose one for doing everything, I'd go with Nuke. But then I'm an FX artist and a comper, not a mograph artist.
Farmfield

Postby vince87 on 02/12/2016, 11:35 am

Farmfield wrote:Fusion is way "better" for mograph and Element 3D type setups than Nuke is simply due to the OpenGL renderer in Fusion. You also have way better tools for manipulating things in 3D, like replicators and such.

Fusion is also a smaller step from AE in regard to learning - and when you know Fusion, you more or less know the basics of Nuke and can take it from there if it comes to that. :D

But for core compositing, handling footage, color, channels, keying, doing projections, object removal, Nuke is way beyond Fusion - so if I had to chose one for doing everything, I'd go with Nuke. But then I'm an FX artist and a comper, not a mograph artist.

thanks a lot i have a much better overall view now,
i had never considered fusion, i will try to take a look at it and see how well it can work with a FUI project

P.S.
Shame on you adobe for the terrible job you are doing with ae!!! :P
vince87

Postby Farmfield on 02/12/2016, 4:45 pm

vince87 wrote:Shame on you adobe for the terrible job you are doing with ae!!! :P

I gotta agree here, I'be been using Photoshop since v1, I would love to love AE, but it just gets worse and worse - what especially bugs me is the crap 3D space, how hard is it to just make it fukn useable?
Farmfield

Postby plae57 on 02/13/2016, 5:53 am

Farmfield wrote: what especially bugs me is the crap 3D space, how hard is it to just make it fukn useable?

That is my primary reason for switching.
plae57

Postby Farmfield on 02/13/2016, 5:42 pm

Here's a screenshot of a lit model in the Fusion 3D view, the setup for the Saab JAS in the Vimeo clip below - this is the viewport quality of Fusion, pre-render...

Farmfield

Postby vince87 on 02/16/2016, 3:46 pm

thanks everyone for your feedback.

i don't know when, but for sure in the near future i am planning to dig into fusion, it seems the best option at the moment.
i will post the result on this forum!
vince87

Postby plae57 on 02/17/2016, 5:49 am

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but this is a great resource for Fusion:

http://www.steakunderwater.com/VFXPedia ... =Main_Page

Lots of example comps and videos to learn from, but anything linked to the old Eyeon site (maybe 20% of the content) just takes you to the Black Magic Fusion page >-|| .
plae57

Return to Other Software & Tools