DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

Discuss Video Copilot Tutorials & Presets

Re: DVD Authoring (Tutorial 91) - Questions + Tips

Postby duoblade on 03/29/2010, 11:30 am

I made my first dvd. I used the preview mode in Encore before I burned it to the dvd. The buttons highlight in the preview mode but not on the actual DVD that I burned. The buttons do not highlight at all.

Any suggestions?

thank you.
duoblade

Postby Thrash on 04/29/2010, 5:14 pm

Hi,
I am an avid DVDSP user and am trying to expand my horizons to include Encore.
I cant seem to work out how to get three button states... I can only ever get two to work (up and selected)
I have tried doing the whole (=1), (=2) etc labeling system for up, selected and activated - but have had no luck...
Any ideas?

.Thrash...
Thrash

Postby Patrick Mazzolo on 05/16/2010, 4:12 am

Thrash wrote:Hi,
I am an avid DVDSP user and am trying to expand my horizons to include Encore.
I cant seem to work out how to get three button states... I can only ever get two to work (up and selected)
I have tried doing the whole (=1), (=2) etc labeling system for up, selected and activated - but have had no luck...
Any ideas?

.Thrash...

Hi Thrash,

I don't think you are able to create separate subpictures for an 'activated' state, however you can change the colour of the shape for each state, including activated.

You can do this by opening up your menu then going to Menu > Menu Color Set and setting the Color Set from 'Automatic' to 'Menu Default', allowing you to adjust the colour settings of the buttons to your liking.

Hope this helps!
Patrick Mazzolo
Paddymazz Productions / Designs

http://youtube.com/paddymazz
Patrick Mazzolo

Twitter: http://twitter.com/paddymazz

Postby ImkenVideo on 06/16/2010, 3:35 pm

Has anyone tried using blending modes in making buttons?

I'm basically following this tutorial to the letter, but instead of lowering the opacity, I want to use the Linear Dodge (Add) blending mode on the box I put over the button, because it integrates with the design better.

However, on saving and returning to Encore, Encore treats it like a Normal blending mode, and it's an opaque button and the unactivated state is hidden from view.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated!

***I figured out a workaround on this one. Nevermind***
http://www.ImkenVideo.com
Special Events, Artist Promotion and Corporate Branding
Professional Video Services
ImkenVideo

Postby ImkenVideo on 06/16/2010, 4:16 pm

NOW I have a different problem.

When I save the Photoshop button file and bring it back to Encore, it looks okay in the window, but when look at the preview or burn the disc, the buttons aren't aligned.

Maybe something with pixel aspect ratio? But I checked in PS and the ratio is widescreen 1.21, same as my Encore project.

Help?
http://www.ImkenVideo.com
Special Events, Artist Promotion and Corporate Branding
Professional Video Services
ImkenVideo

Postby lynchy88888 on 06/30/2010, 7:53 am

Hi guys, ok so i followed along with the tutorial except swapped everything to pal, because im Australian, so when i made the dvd and played in 3 different tv's it only takes up about half the screen.. how can i make a dvd in hd? or 1080p? or at least fit the screen
lynchy88888

Postby Robyn on 12/28/2010, 4:18 am

Hi
Im using After Effects CS5. The tutorial says set the output module settings to MPEG-DVD, which is fine, but then it says to go into format options and set it to NTSC and check that the field order is non progressive, etc. The problem is that when I go into format options it shows a screen with just a few settings for video options, and none of the settings it says we must adjust in the tutorial. Ive checked to see if maybe there was something wrong with my settings or something but cant find anyhting
Robyn

Postby ngambles on 12/30/2010, 1:00 am

Robyn wrote:...The problem is that when I go into format options it shows a screen with just a few settings for video options...

Can you post a screen shot of what you're seeing in the format options?

Also, are you using a trial version of AE CS5? If so then...
AE CS5 Trial Info wrote:Thank you for your interest in evaluating Adobe® After Effects® CS5 software.
Operating system requirement

After Effects CS5 requires a 64-bit operating system.
Trial limitations

Due to licenses of various codecs, several formats are not supported in the trial version of After Effects CS5, limiting some of the features available in the trial. Formats not supported in the trial include AVC-Intra, AVCHD, Canon XF, HDV, and XDCAM. Also, certain formats, such as MPEG-2, MPEG-2 DVD, and MPEG-2 Blu-ray, cannot be exported from the trial version. For details, visit the Help Resource Center.

Some third-party plug-ins, such as Imagineer Systems mocha and mocha shape, Foundry Keylight, CycoreFX, Synthetic Aperture Color Finesse LE, fnord ProEXR, and Digieffects FreeForm, are not included in the trial version of After Effects.

If you decide to purchase After Effects CS5 after the trial period, support for these codecs and plug-ins will automatically be added via a simple update once you enter a valid serial number.

Basically you cannot export for DVD with the trial version. Also if you have updated to a full version from the trial then you need to update the third-party addons mentioned above.

Cheers
ngambles

Postby Shurai on 02/5/2011, 12:30 am

I started my project in NTSC D1 Widescreen Square Pixels and later made new comp that was NTSC DV Widescreen. The distortion of the aspect ratio seems far more than in the tutorial. Should I just scale the width out?

Also I have encore cs5 and it seem when I updated it, they provided preset menus. I can't seem to make it blank and start new like in the tutorial.

Here's a short clip of the issues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUkMa1gOgCc

Help appreciated!
Shurai

Postby ngambles on 02/5/2011, 1:30 pm

Shurai wrote:Should I just scale the width out?
No.

Shurai wrote:I started my project in NTSC D1 Widescreen Square Pixels and later made new comp that was NTSC DV Widescreen. The distortion of the aspect ratio seems far more than in the tutorial.
If you see a large difference between the two comps then you do not have 'Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction' turned on.
Screen shot 2011-02-05 at 1.16.59 PM.png

Turn this on for your non-square pixel comp and AE will simulate the same frame size as you would see if you were to view it on a monitor with non-square pixels.

Shurai wrote:I can't seem to make it blank and start new like in the tutorial.

• Open the library
  • find any one of these menu presets:
    • "Blank Menu"
    • "Blank Menu Wide"
    • "Blank Menu HD"
    Right Click on the desired format
    Select 'Set as Default Menu'
Now when you select Menu -> New Menu, this is the one that will be created.

Or instead, you can find the correct menu in the library and just double click on it to create a new menu using that menu.

Cheers
ngambles

Postby Shurai on 02/6/2011, 3:21 pm

Well that solved those two questions :o lol thanks.

One more question that came from this tutorial, if you are wanting to create a scene selection menu do you have to export your premiere project into the main selections or is there a way to do that in encore.

Example:
I could export and hour long video from premiere and import it into encore. Make how ever menu buttons for how ever many scenes I want and somehow link them to parts within the hour long video.

Or, as I mentioned before, do I have to export my main project into smaller selections?
Shurai

Postby ngambles on 02/6/2011, 4:25 pm

You can make one long video and add chapter markers, then link to the location of the markers.

In Premiere:
PR_Chapter_Marker_Button.jpg

Premiere Help

In Encore:
Encore_Chapter_Marker_Button.jpg

Encore Help

Cheers
ngambles

Postby 3mo_sid on 02/21/2012, 9:46 am

hello! sorry, I'm trying to do the tutorial 90. Ancient Titles and I have no plugins mesh war, in which effects package is the mesh plugins war?, Or where I can consegir?: ( :cry:
3mo_sid

Previous

Return to VC Tutorials & Presets