3D Contest #3 Exteriors

3D max, Cinema 4D, Blender or your favorite 3D app

Re: 3D Contest #3 Exteriors

Postby maul2 on 08/2/2009, 1:31 am

What do you mean by Presets? Like in your 3D program? How does that work exactly?

And yes it is really annoying, but hey I'll be going to school in a month to figure out how to do it properly, and then I can make some stuff to be proud of!!
maul2

Postby unreal on 08/2/2009, 5:22 am

I meant post presets for AE. In 3D I have 'preset' scene files made up that have fog, fire, smoke, lighting rigs etc etc etc. So when I model something or make a scene, I texture it and then drag and drop the appropriate lighting rig scene file in, move the lights to the positions I want and it's done. I know I don't need to play around with any settings as I have it the way I want. Sometimes I may do a little tweak here and there but at any rate it saves me a heap of time rather than having to make the scene then create all the lights and play with their individual settings to get my result. Get me?
unreal

Postby Pigeon on 08/2/2009, 5:38 am

unreal wrote:I meant post presets for AE. In 3D I have 'preset' scene files made up that have fog, fire, smoke, lighting rigs etc etc etc. So when I model something or make a scene, I texture it and then drag and drop the appropriate lighting rig scene file in, move the lights to the positions I want and it's done. I know I don't need to play around with any settings as I have it the way I want. Sometimes I may do a little tweak here and there but at any rate it saves me a heap of time rather than having to make the scene then create all the lights and play with their individual settings to get my result. Get me?

Yes, I have too. I'd say most, if not all, more or less experienced artists, aswell as every studio, has an archive of light rigs, models, materials, textures, reference material and so on to speed up production aswell as getting good results in less time. It takes a while to build up but is essential when doing larger projects...
Pigeon

Postby maul2 on 08/2/2009, 1:38 pm

Hmm, interesting. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Would you mind throwing one up on here, just so I could take a look at it?
maul2

Postby Pigeon on 08/2/2009, 8:08 pm

maul2 wrote:Hmm, interesting. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Would you mind throwing one up on here, just so I could take a look at it?

It's nothing much to it... Say you have some general materials and textures (Maybe metal, wood titles, concrete), you can save out the material and next time when you need to use a similar material you can just load it up and with a few quick tweaks you are good to go... Same goes with light rigs... Just create a new scene, add in your light setup, then save the scene out. Next time you model something you can just import that light rig into your scene and hit render and you have a quick and very nice lighting setup. This is especially useful if you have a lot of models for say a film or game project which you all need to show off with consistency, because then you can use the exact same light rig for every render...
Pigeon

Postby Filmaker92 on 08/4/2009, 9:04 am

Well I'm not a master of 3D art. I just make things in Blender for fun and plus it was my first time working blender. So here are samples of what I did, I didn't do it for the this challenge I made these when I was bored. Please don't give me any bad comments cause I'm only 16 and I work on animation for about year now.

Here is the earth:
l_fdac2658441a52484b03766eef7017e0.jpg

And here is a terrain I don't know if you can call it a exterior but hey this my first time:
Terrain0001.jpg

Well those are my samples sorry if it's not perfect like all these other artwork but hey give me a break it's my first time. Well thank you for posting this form.
Filmaker92

Postby Pigeon on 08/4/2009, 9:42 am

Filmaker92 wrote:Well I'm not a master of 3D art. I just make things in Blender for fun and plus it was my first time working blender. So here are samples of what I did, I didn't do it for the this challenge I made these when I was bored. Please don't give me any bad comments cause I'm only 16 and I work on animation for about year now.

Here is the earth:
l_fdac2658441a52484b03766eef7017e0.jpg

And here is a terrain I don't know if you can call it a exterior but hey this my first time:
Terrain0001.jpg

Well those are my samples sorry if it's not perfect like all these other artwork but hey give me a break it's my first time. Well thank you for posting this form.

No need for apologies, we all started somewhere. Those are good for just starting out, just keep at it and you will steadily progress as you learn more!
Pigeon

Postby HD_MAC on 08/10/2009, 3:28 am

I am new to 3D, just have finished half of the DT's Introduction to maya 2nd edition.
I will be modeling my house in Afghanistan and will share it with you guys.
HD_MAC

Postby unreal on 08/10/2009, 12:40 pm

Just a random thing I slapped together, trying to do some fantasy genre stuff. All done in Max.
Attachments
final1.jpg
unreal

Postby Sal Sciortino on 08/14/2009, 11:55 am

[img]C:\Users\Sal\Desktop\street.jpg[/img]
let me know what you guys think
Sal Sciortino

Postby Pigeon on 08/14/2009, 12:00 pm

Sal Sciortino wrote:[img]C:\Users\Sal\Desktop\street.jpg[/img]

You need to uploadyour image to the internet... You can't link to your harddrive =)
Pigeon

Postby unreal on 08/14/2009, 7:29 pm

LOL!. Sorry, had to laugh at that.
unreal

Postby narenn on 08/17/2009, 2:26 pm

Sal Sciortino wrote:[img]C:\Users\Sal\Desktop\street.jpg[/img]

nice...

Upload it via attachment here at VCP, or through an image based host like tinypic or imageshack.
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Postby OlaHaldor on 08/18/2009, 8:08 pm

Not a complete scene. But it could just as well have been used for blasting a hangar in the background, with shrapnel and fire and all kinds of smoke blowing to every direction...

It's for X-plane, the flight simulator. The images are too large to add in the forum. Click the links.
http://www.olahaldor.net/screendump/hangar2.png
http://www.olahaldor.net/screendump/hangar_w_uv.png

And a few renderings of this

Fun fact: One of videocopilot grungy textures is used for the floor inside. :geek:
DaVinci Resolve Colorist @ Hoveng Media
Mac Pro 2008 | Mac Pro 2009 | JL Cooper Eclipse control surface
Final Cut Studio 3 | DaVinci Resolve | LightWave 3D
OlaHaldor

Postby Pigeon on 09/3/2009, 4:25 am

@OlaHaldor: That's some pretty good work, I like the texturework, very crisp and contains alot of details but not to the point it get's very cluttered... I won't comment anything on the actual shaders since it's for a game, but are you sure that polycount isn't a bit high? I don't know what the engine you are working with supports, but that alot of polygons for the roof... I think you should anchor all the verts properly too to avoid any normal issues that might stem from the n-gons once the assets is imported into the game and get's triangulated...

Anyways, good work overall, sad to see noone had commented on it...

@OP: What kind of contest is this though? It seem people are just submitting works on a particular topic and there is no deadline or judging going on... so, is it a contest or just a fun forum challenge of some sort? I guess it's the latter but the thread title is a bit misleading... Either way, I'm all for it since topics and challenges is a very good thing for an artist...
Pigeon

Postby OlaHaldor on 09/3/2009, 8:24 am

WOAH! I've done quite a lot lately on this scenery for X-plane.

That curved hangar is about 400 polygons. The other buildings I've created are somewhere between 800 and 3600 polygons. All the buildings I've done so far all together are about 8000 polygons, and that's NOTHING. Imagine GTA IV, Need For Speed, Far Cry 2 etc.. You'd tickle yourself till you poop when you hear the polycount they have. ;) It goes beyond a 7 digit number, that's for sure.. All textures I do are 2048x2048 as well, except some the ones on the runway for instance..

I've attached a few more of what I've done.
Attachments
y.jpg
in-game
3.jpg
in-game
t.jpg
in-game
OlaHaldor

Postby OlaHaldor on 09/3/2009, 8:26 am

and some more..
Attachments
lemupepsi.jpg
render
lemuw2.png_thumb.png
wireframe
inaer_textured.jpg
render
OlaHaldor

Postby Pigeon on 09/3/2009, 10:39 am

I don't know how important of a building that is in the game, but 800 polys if the building is barely gonna be shown (i get the feeling this is some kind of flight sim) is a bit much.

And GTAIV and Far Cry 2 does not have particularly high polycount for buildings etc, especially not GTAIV. Characters are around 10-20k which is pretty standard...

The only game I know that really and truly supports high poly count is Uncharted 1 and 2. Their main characters har 25-30k polys in the first game and secondary characters have 12-15k... But that's because you calculate things like backface culling before you send the models to the gpu, essentially sending only the polygons that will be rendered and that means you can have higher poly models...

anyhow, nice stuff
Pigeon

Postby OlaHaldor on 09/3/2009, 2:46 pm

This is gonna be used for X-Plane. I've tested the scenery I've built so far with the most intensive planes I've got, and I still go between 80 and 120fps with no problems at all.

Scenery for the departure or arrival airport is REALLY important if you wanna get a feel of really being there. And that's what it's about when you land at an airport. If there's no buildings, you just might as well land in a field. :lol:

I know many will appreciate the details. You approach, you land, you taxi around the airport, park for the night or to reload a new batch of passangers - you'll be standing in front of or inside the buildings. Of course will the virtual pilots like the details. This is an industry in constant development since microsoft flightsim 95 and possibly earlier.. ;) What's different about what I do is the amount of work I put into it vs. most others, especially those who give it away for free.
OlaHaldor

Postby STORM_ST on 09/22/2009, 3:00 pm

Hey everyone. New here thought I would have a go. This was made in 3ds max and tweaked in after effects. Hope you like it. :P

STORM_ST

Postby Emadhal on 11/2/2009, 8:42 pm

hello guys!
im new here! :| hehe
however! nice graphics! i do love 3d, n i have this graphic already done 2 days ago! so lucky me x)
Emadhal

Postby robbie1985 on 11/7/2009, 4:10 pm

STORM_ST wrote:Hey everyone. New here thought I would have a go. This was made in 3ds max and tweaked in after effects. Hope you like it. :P

I'm tempted to call you a liar as that looks like a photograph!!

Man that is good
http://www.facebook.com/cardiacmedia
cardiacmedia(at)live.co.uk
robbie1985

Twitter: robbie1985

Postby mherCad 007 on 11/9/2009, 10:37 pm

hello guys how`s both of you doin fine there? attached herein is my sample of works in 3d max9 with vary plug in.. I hope you will like it... :mrgreen:
mherCad 007

Postby STORM_ST on 11/13/2009, 5:28 pm

robbie1985 wrote:
STORM_ST wrote:Hey everyone. New here thought I would have a go. This was made in 3ds max and tweaked in after effects. Hope you like it. :P

I'm tempted to call you a liar as that looks like a photograph!!

Man that is good

Thank you for the compliment. :D
STORM_ST

Postby gothell on 11/15/2009, 11:44 am

here is some clouds I made in Vue. ;)

I'm young sory for the bad english
gothell

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Animation