3D Contest #3 Exteriors

3D max, Cinema 4D, Blender or your favorite 3D app

3D Contest #3 Exteriors

Postby Velvet Elves on 07/5/2009, 9:17 am

Hello VC Forum Goers!!!!! :D

I think it's time for the next challenge... EXTERIORS!!!!

I've been gone for quiet some time, for I have realized I have priorities. And Video Copilot Challenges are obviously at the top of the list. SO LETS GOO!

For this challenge we are creating exteriors. Similiar to the first challenge, so you might just appreciate it. 8-) There will be few rules because we want everyone to be creative in this. BTW all other challenges are active.

Mainly just work hard on it, but not TOO hard. We want everyone to have a chance in this. Make something out in the wild. Or maybe something a little more urban. And include as many details as possable. People are allowed to ask you questions about steps to how it was created.

I created mine in Autodesk Maya, took about 2 hours. Modeled mine off of memories of Glacier Bay in Alaska. But then made it HOT!
nature.jpg
Make sure to view in full screen on every picture. Because the thumbnails make it look not nearly as good.

Picture 1.png

Have fun everyone! This shouldn't be to hard for some, but please, if you have the time.. MODEL SOME!!! :twisted:

-Matt :ugeek:
I built the house I was born in.
http://mutedmacro.com
Velvet Elves

Re: 3D Contest #3 Exteriors

Postby KFulr on 07/5/2009, 7:59 pm

I just kept it kind of simple using models I had already done. Threw in a daylight system and reflective ocean with an image I found for the background and thats all. Took about 10 mins to throw together and about 30 mins. to render.
Attachments
Carrier.jpg
KFulr

Postby Connor Berge on 07/5/2009, 10:24 pm

Frick kid! I wish I knew how to do this crap! You are very talented!

You said you used Maya? Did you do the clouds in Maya as well?

The whole thing looks fantastic....
Free Vegas Pro Video Tutorials at Envisageworks.com > Site > Tutorials
Connor Berge

Postby Velvet Elves on 07/5/2009, 10:31 pm

Connor Berge wrote:Frick kid! I wish I knew how to do this crap! You are very talented!

You said you used Maya? Did you do the clouds in Maya as well?

The whole thing looks fantastic....

Thank you very much, but its still a work in progress. All in Maya. Clouds, tree's, water, texturing, fog. It all adds together for more realism. And then it was rendered in Mental Ray ;)

@KFulr You just opened up this contest to MANY new possabilities. Great modeling btw :D
Velvet Elves

Postby narenn on 07/6/2009, 1:06 am

This is actually a test from some shots I need done for a short film. I might do something better if I can find time. For now, this is it:
Attachments
flyover_test2.jpg
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Postby Andrej_Gr on 07/7/2009, 6:41 am

It s done in 3dmax, and Dream scape plugin. It is not realistic, but I was trying to achieve dreamy look.
Attachments
Brod.jpg
Andrej_Gr

Postby ripperisme on 07/9/2009, 12:14 am

This was done in 3ds max took about two hours to create. From what I can remember render time was about 20 minutes enjoy...Image
ripperisme

Postby evanschaible on 07/12/2009, 3:55 pm

Did this in Vue 6 in about an hour or so, most of the time was spent getting my ecosystem to behave exactly like I wanted it too, but there are still a few building in the clouds. This shot has just under 24 billion polygons and took about 15 or so minutes to render. The image is cut off a little but the full image can be seen here: http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/7763 ... clouds.jpg

I didnt actually do this specifically for this challenge as it is a pre viz shot for a project i am working that will likely wind up only being a brainstorming shot.

http://www.particleflow.net II http://www.evanschaible.com
Freelance Technical Direction and Particle Effects
evanschaible

Twitter: evanschaible

Postby Velvet Elves on 07/12/2009, 7:25 pm

Hey Evan! I was wondering how long it would take before we saw some Vue potencial. I love how your buildings add scale to the mountains. I can't think of any details to change, near perfect. Great work :)
Velvet Elves

Postby BJCurlee on 07/14/2009, 7:12 am

I did both of these with Terragen in about 20 min. I don't think it's fair to use Vue or Terragen just because it makes it harder for those who only have 3Ds max, or other 3d software.
It might be a good idea to restrict that kind of software until another contest.

I'll try to make something better with blender... :D

-Benjamin
Attachments
Islands1280x720.jpg
Ocean1280x720.jpg
Last edited by BJCurlee on 07/14/2009, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJCurlee

Postby OlaHaldor on 07/14/2009, 7:13 am

I had started creating a buliding in LightWave with LWCAD, but haven't come so far yet due to a trip "out of town". I might post something when I get back to it.. :)
DaVinci Resolve Colorist @ Hoveng Media
Mac Pro 2008 | Mac Pro 2009 | JL Cooper Eclipse control surface
Final Cut Studio 3 | DaVinci Resolve | LightWave 3D
OlaHaldor

Postby narenn on 07/14/2009, 6:13 pm

BJCurlee wrote:I did both of these with Terragen in about 20 min. I don't think it's fair to use Vue or Terragen just because it makes it harder for those who only have 3Ds max, or other 3d software.
It might be a good idea to restrict that kind of software until another contest.

I'll try to make something better with blender... :D

-Benjamin

Well Terragen is free ;)
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Postby OlaHaldor on 07/15/2009, 9:22 am

Well, that all depends on the user. I could create some terragen-like in LightWave within a few minutes. Creating a box with enough polys, and adding a procedural texture to the displacement map. Ta daah ! :-}=

For playing around a bit further, I'd preferably use a HDRI for sky and clouds, and render it with GI.
OlaHaldor

Postby BJCurlee on 07/15/2009, 10:20 am

highdefw wrote:Well Terragen is free ;)

OlaHaldor wrote:Well, that all depends on the user. I could create some terragen-like in LightWave within a few minutes. Creating a box with enough polys, and adding a procedural texture to the displacement map. Ta daah ! :-}=

For playing around a bit further, I'd preferably use a HDRI for sky and clouds, and render it with GI.

OK guys, you got me.

But you cannot deny that for someone to make something as photoreal as Vue with standard 3d software they deserve a reward. Plus it shows that they know 3d. Anybody can pickup Terragen and make a cool landscape (I know, I did :D ). But not everybody can make a believable landscape with a standard 3d app. If you catch my drift. ;)

So in conclusion (to my boring and pointless speech), I quote a man who said this before me, "It all depends on the user." (I crack myself up sometimes :lol: )

(I hope you don't run and jump of a cliff after reading my comment. It's soooo not funny.)
BJCurlee

Postby evanschaible on 07/15/2009, 12:02 pm

BJCurlee wrote:OK guys, you got me.

But you cannot deny that for someone to make something as photoreal as Vue with standard 3d software they deserve a reward. Plus it shows that they know 3d. Anybody can pickup Terragen and make a cool landscape (I know, I did :D ). But not everybody can make a believable landscape with a standard 3d app. If you catch my drift. ;)

So in conclusion (to my boring and pointless speech), I quote a man who said this before me, "It all depends on the user." (I crack myself up sometimes :lol: )

(I hope you don't run and jump of a cliff after reading my comment. It's soooo not funny.)

Well, it took my almost a year to learn the necessary things to crank out that image above in less than an hour. While these apps do create some good results at default settings and with their presets, anyone who has even brushed shoulders with 3D will know that the person just loaded up a preset atmosphere, added a few plants to the ecosystem, threw in pre generated terrain and hit render. Those people may do that, but I can tell that is what they did a mile away.

Applications like Vue are DEEP. You can probe the possibilities of that software and never reach its limits (unless of course you want to make wave crests, or make them crash on the beaches - i still cant figure that out, or are creating crazt sets at ILM). But anyhow, photorealism is different than something that just looks cool as a test.

I dont think my feeble try above is even photoreal, and I have been using that app for over a year at least 2 or 3 times a week on numerous projects.

Anyhow, all that to say this: Not just anybody can create a photorealistic matte, even with Vue.

- Evan

EDIT: That quote,"It all depends on the user" is not really accurate either. Every software has it limits, and something else picks up its slack. If you dont have the tool to use, the user doesnt matter. I have a keen interest in software development, and have been told time and time again that I am wasting my time keeping up with new software developments and developing things myself, because it all depends on the user. Well, ILM has technical directors that develop new tools to fill in the gaps of even Maya and Vue (because even the best users cant do some things when the software maxes out). So while that quote sounds good, it isnt quite from the VFX industry as it currently stands.

The hammer pounds in nails, but even the hammer needs a chisel to carve an intricate statue. :)
evanschaible

Postby BJCurlee on 07/15/2009, 1:33 pm

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to start a dabate. I'll just go and sit in my corner now. :)

@ evanschaible: Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend you. I really like what you did with Vue. I have the free non-commerical version and I can't figure anything out with it. So I really respect what you have done.

I'm still working on a blender exterior anyway :D

Thanks guys!
BJCurlee

Postby evanschaible on 07/15/2009, 6:52 pm

BJCurlee wrote:Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to start a dabate. I'll just go and sit in my corner now. :)

@ evanschaible: Sorry, I wasn't trying to offend you. I really like what you did with Vue. I have the free non-commerical version and I can't figure anything out with it. So I really respect what you have done.

Thanks guys!

I am not offended at all. Ive just heard that latter quote used so many times against us technical, non artsy guys that I had to say something. :)

But I also wanted to point out that not just anybody can make a photoreal environment, even with Vue. Just so people dont misunderstand the complexity of Vue and think that Vue users are lazy and have no talent (not talking about me here, I dont consider myself an actuale Vue user).

But anyhow, no offense at all and I am looking forward to what you have in Blender.

- Evan
evanschaible

Postby Pigeon on 07/15/2009, 7:02 pm

evanschaible wrote:
BJCurlee wrote:Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to start a dabate. I'll just go and sit in my corner now. :)

Thanks guys!

I am not offended at all. Ive just heard that latter quote used so many times against us technical, non artsy guys that I had to say something. :)

But I also wanted to point out that not just anybody can make a photoreal environment, even with Vue. Just so people dont misunderstand the complexity of Vue and think that Vue users are lazy and have no talent (not talking about me here, I dont consider myself an actuale Vue user).

But anyhow, no offense at all and I am looking forward to what you have in Blender.

- Evan

Very true. Vue is not really to simplify creating environments but more allow artists to be able to create realistic environments. It's just like motion builder helps artists animate, or bodypaint helps artists texture... 3D is such a big world that you need huge, dedicated applications for each part of it basically...
Pigeon

Postby Andrej_Gr on 07/16/2009, 5:24 am

I am all for plugins. But, before you use any plug in, my opinion is that you must learn to make everything in 3d application(at least basic stuff), because that will give you advantage in understanding processes and it will be easier to achieve things that you need with plugins. They are meant for users who need highly detailed-realistic stuff in less time. I am using about 20 plugins, from Vray, Dreamscape, FumeFx to Glue3d and FireRay. And I use another applications - Zbrush, Mudbox, Facegen.., but before that, I was learning to do all that i need manual. Maybe it was easier because my first computer was ZX Spectrum, and first graphic program was Picasso joy on Commodore 64, and I was there when all programs evolved. Now days, first comps that kids get's are mean-eating machines, and they start from the end. I the end, plugins are great, because time is money, and quality is allways over optimization.
Andrej_Gr

Postby Velvet Elves on 07/19/2009, 12:23 am

Yes yes I know that debating can be fun :D But let's remember that this is a contest thread. We want as many entries as possible. I think Vue and similiar programs are great. You are welcome to post if you are an expierienced user. Will they count as an official entry?.. No. For those programs exceed in envirmental tools and rendering etc.

We will only take entries from 3Ds, Maya, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, and :roll: Blender.
Velvet Elves

Postby evanschaible on 07/19/2009, 12:43 am

Velvet Elves wrote:Yes yes I know that debating can be fun :D But let's remember that this is a contest thread. We want as many entries as possible. I think Vue and similiar programs are great. You are welcome to post if you are an expierienced user. Will they count as an official entry?.. No. For those programs exceed in envirmental tools and rendering etc.

We will only take entries from 3Ds, Maya, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, and :roll: Blender.

So... does that mean I can use Vue 6xStream... I mean TECHNICALLY I am using 3DS Max. :geek:
evanschaible

Postby Velvet Elves on 07/19/2009, 2:13 am

Uhh, damn I should've read the debate. Is this Vue 6xStream thing a plugin? I think the old fashioned way is the best. No additional plugins etc. Out of the box ;)
Velvet Elves

Postby OlaHaldor on 07/19/2009, 10:23 am

Vue xStream is a plugin to use the rendering capabilities of Vue and place objects (like flowers, plants, trees, maybe even ecosystems, I dunno.. ) right inside LightWave, Maya, Max, C4D etc.

Why would you NOT allow plug-ins ? So plug-ins that would help one to create a better piece of art is not tolerated? For instance. there's plug-ins to duplicate/clone one object into multiple objects, and then you can assign a random value to rotation and scale to make it look more random and natural.

About anything in LightWave is a plug-in. All from enabling rendering with GI, enabling gradient backgrounds to particles or some tools that are essential. Yes, they do come "straight from the box", but they're still plug-ins.. Just wanna know where the defined line is.
OlaHaldor

Postby evanschaible on 07/19/2009, 3:05 pm

Velvet Elves wrote:Uhh, damn I should've read the debate. Is this Vue 6xStream thing a plugin? I think the old fashioned way is the best. No additional plugins etc. Out of the box ;)

I was kidding about the xStream comment. I can understand not allowing stuff like that, it makes perfect sense. I honestly just posted for fun anyhow, not really as an entry.

- Evan
evanschaible

Postby martouf on 07/19/2009, 8:25 pm

Hello here is my submission. This was made in Cinema 4d. For some reason, the right side is getting cut off. here is a link to see the whole picture: www.mikekukula.com/potiphar3.jpg

martouf

Next

Return to 3D Animation