Particles and Data

3D max, Cinema 4D, Blender or your favorite 3D app

Particles and Data

Postby sina12345 on 12/11/2016, 8:04 am

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been active in the cgi scene but I wanted to pick up a new project related to my work and I was hoping to get some guidance as to where to start.

My project will be to import brain imaging data taken from an fMRI and turn it into an animated version of the neurons in the brain that are firing. My data will have millions of voxels, and so I think it would be best if I had some kind of particle set up, and have the particles animate in time according to my data. The voxels come with position data naturally, so if I can link my particle positions with this data, then I can easily make the shape of the brain with my particles. The animation could be color, vibrations, or something along those lines, that part I can figure out later.

My main question is, I expect to have to write some code to make my data accessible by something like C4D, but I don't know which plugins are fit for my project, and what's worth the time investment. It would be nice if someone could point me to some reading material or resources related to importing data and linking it to particle animations.

I think this project is not only going to be beautiful, but very helpful in doing real neuroscience.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
sina12345

Re: Particles and Data

Postby Farmfield on 12/11/2016, 8:37 am

Check with Chad on "WeSuckLess" forums, he's been working professionally with that exact thing for years. His company does some seriously mind blowing stuff with point clouds created out of MRI voxel data...

http://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckle ... ofile&u=94
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Re: Particles and Data

Postby sina12345 on 12/11/2016, 10:33 pm

Hey thanks for the tip! I sent Chad a message. Do you have a link to some samples of their work?
sina12345

Return to 3D Animation