Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

3D max, Cinema 4D, Blender or your favorite 3D app

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby kito_pm on 06/21/2009, 6:12 pm

Yeah, Afterburn and fumeFx are really great. I think all the monsters in Gears of war were created with Max too.
I'm not into Games though. i already bought some books about 3ds max, so far so good. Really like the design of the program. I just want to accomplish certain effects like meteorites, make mountains, caves, some weird objects in some scenes, and explosions. I'm want to get some of the effects seen on "What's in the Box" too, like the bombs and wall explosions, and smoke...

So, am I using the correct program?!?
kito_pm
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 03/2/2009, 6:31 pm

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby Pigeon on 06/22/2009, 2:26 am

kito_pm wrote:Yeah, Afterburn and fumeFx are really great. I think all the monsters in Gears of war were created with Max too.
I'm not into Games though. i already bought some books about 3ds max, so far so good. Really like the design of the program. I just want to accomplish certain effects like meteorites, make mountains, caves, some weird objects in some scenes, and explosions. I'm want to get some of the effects seen on "What's in the Box" too, like the bombs and wall explosions, and smoke...

So, am I using the correct program?!?


If you read the first post you should come to the realization that there isn't any 'correct' program, they can all more or less achieve the same things, just offer different ways of doing it - some are a bit more well suited and more effective, but never the less, can be created in whatever app you want.

However, Max alone can't do fluid simulations reallty, so for the things you want to do you need to get fume fx or afterburn. So in this case, Maya might have been the better choice, since it comes built in with maya fluids which is great, but still, you can do it in both so there's no reason thinking too much about it...
Pigeon
 
Posts: 892
Joined: 08/8/2008, 3:54 am

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby eFinder on 06/26/2009, 2:02 pm

Thanks for this list.. I think I am going to Master Cinema4d and After Effects, and then ZBrush, and also some of the Terrain Generators... I am a Pro Audio Engineer.. so My goals come down to making Music Videos, and Sound Enhanced 3d Compositions... I think I should be good with the tools I mentioned.. Eventually I will jump Right to maya... and then some of the serious compositors..... I so rather work for a production house that has all of this stuff then actually rack my brain trying to figure out how to pay for it.


Well regardless. This list explained alot of angles for me.. and I now realize there isnt 1 tool to get it done, and the main thing here is learning about 3d modeling, composting, color, lighting, and art in general. The fundamentals are so important.. like perspective, and little things, the details, and the terms and the math involved.. so Im taking a bunch of free math classes online to up my knowledge of shapes/planes/etc... I feel like a scientist... except im creating digital experiments instead of physical ones.. lol

do anyone feel the same way?

To think.. Andrew Kramer teaching me after effects brought me to 3d modeling.. NOW I WILL CHANGE THE WORLD... no but seriously.. AK is the man.. thx bro for everything is you read this.. I am truly inspired by Digital Media... and want my music to come to life through Media... and with the internet as my platform.. mark my words.. "I will learn all of these programs... and then Reach EVERY ONE OF YOU with my art and leave an impact in your brain, and on humanity forever. My soul will live on through my media... " How you say? I will broadcast my Videos into space of course.... hahaha rotfl :lol: :lol: :lol:
eFinder
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 06/26/2009, 1:04 pm

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby narenn on 06/26/2009, 7:10 pm

eFinder wrote:Thanks for this list.. I think I am going to Master Cinema4d and After Effects, and then ZBrush, and also some of the Terrain Generators... I am a Pro Audio Engineer.. so My goals come down to making Music Videos, and Sound Enhanced 3d Compositions... I think I should be good with the tools I mentioned.. Eventually I will jump Right to maya... and then some of the serious compositors..... I so rather work for a production house that has all of this stuff then actually rack my brain trying to figure out how to pay for it.


Well regardless. This list explained alot of angles for me.. and I now realize there isnt 1 tool to get it done, and the main thing here is learning about 3d modeling, composting, color, lighting, and art in general. The fundamentals are so important.. like perspective, and little things, the details, and the terms and the math involved.. so Im taking a bunch of free math classes online to up my knowledge of shapes/planes/etc... I feel like a scientist... except im creating digital experiments instead of physical ones.. lol

do anyone feel the same way?

To think.. Andrew Kramer teaching me after effects brought me to 3d modeling.. NOW I WILL CHANGE THE WORLD... no but seriously.. AK is the man.. thx bro for everything is you read this.. I am truly inspired by Digital Media... and want my music to come to life through Media... and with the internet as my platform.. mark my words.. "I will learn all of these programs... and then Reach EVERY ONE OF YOU with my art and leave an impact in your brain, and on humanity forever. My soul will live on through my media... " How you say? I will broadcast my Videos into space of course.... hahaha rotfl :lol: :lol: :lol:


That's some deep stuff right there...

...Looking forward to these LIFE ALTERING videos you are planning to make ;)

P.S. If you guys see a "?" under the apps, that means I'm looking for any comments an experience user might have (with that app of course).
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator
 
Posts: 1246
Joined: 08/1/2008, 8:57 pm
Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby ripcord on 07/5/2009, 3:10 pm

Why do you say "Cinema 4d is not as powerful compared to other applications"?
ripcord
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 07/5/2009, 3:04 pm

Re: 3D Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby amittiwari on 07/5/2009, 3:22 pm

tony wrote:
highdefw wrote:
ArAbBoi wrote:hi there
im new here ... and thanx 4 this site it's really helping alot especially from some1 as beginer as me..
i have 3d max , maya . after effect,lightwave and 3d cinema do u think it's enough 4 me or should i have more...
i know u will asking me what i want first before i have any other programs?lol
well let say i wanna learn to make a human walking.. and i need make short movie with that human? what's king of program i need?
thanx bro............
by the way im from saudi arabia so if u misunderstand that's cuz of me cuz my languge not that good
wish u best and 4 all


All the programs you "purchased" and no idea how to use them? :lol:

Your question varies. As far as 3d animation goes, After effects will not be used until your model need color correction, compositing, etc...

Have you started learning any of the 3d apps yet? I suggest you spend some time learning each one. If you have never done anything 3d before, then start out with an easy app like Blender or lightwave. Possibly try 3ds Max if your up for it. I wouldn't suggest Maya straight off the bat since its has a pretty steep learning curve. Unless you know what your doing, it will be a good few months before you get anything close to a full animated human.

Besides using the community and free tutorials, websites like digital-tutors and GnomonWorkshop offer some excellent dvds and downloads to teach you all the basics. I highly recommend them.

P.S. Also be sure to search the forum. Tons of helpful content is posted everywhere.



To me he reads like a little kid, I think he just downloaded them of a bit torrent illegally, I mean there is no way anybody would drop so much cash on programs they know nothing about, LOL i like how he said, "is that enough for me or should i have more" hahahaha that is so funny on so many different levels


Well it could be possible that he bought those software :| sound strange?? but yeah i have been to saudi arabia and know that place very well, its very much possible.
जन गण मन अधिनायक जय हे, भारत भाग्य विधाता
http://www.vimeo.com/amittiwari
amittiwari
 
Posts: 380
Joined: 02/2/2009, 2:57 pm
Location: India

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby evanschaible on 07/5/2009, 4:24 pm

Max is primarily used for modeling in video games


:[p

Im not quite sure where this comes from. Most of the AAA vfx in the last few huge movies (2021 especially) were done in Max. It is used in film just as much a Maya, just like Maya is used in games just as much as Max.

- Evan
http://www.particleflow.net II http://www.evanschaible.com
Freelance Technical Direction and Particle Effects
evanschaible
 
Posts: 459
Joined: 09/18/2008, 11:37 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Twitter: evanschaible

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby narenn on 07/5/2009, 10:17 pm

ripcord wrote:Why do you say "Cinema 4d is not as powerful compared to other applications"?


It doesn't have as much flexibility as Maya or 3ds Max. It's definitely up there, but that's why it's not used as much in film work and such.
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator
 
Posts: 1246
Joined: 08/1/2008, 8:57 pm
Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby Joey-V on 07/9/2009, 9:44 am

hi there, im new to 3D modeling/animation and i'm just gathering info for now and software and looking for guides, and so i found this site today and first i wanna say its realy cool u guys give free beginner tutorials i just know this site is gonna help me out allot when i got the basics ready for 3d modeling/animation. and probably the only software im gonna "buy" just cuz of that <.<;
either way i had a question sorry if it was anwsered somewhere but i havent seen this, so i got 3DS max, and i seen allot of recomendations and all, but i did notice on allot of sites and heard from allot of people 3Ds max, poser etc are the most popular, now for my question, in terms of gething tutorials or help from other people do you guys recomend 3Ds max or some other software most? becouse thats why i picked 3Ds max mainly for its popularety, and i figured would get faster results with a program that allot of people use and where there's allot of tutorials for (for free @@; ).
if u guys know any more free tutorial websites for 3DS max who are just as cool as this one is for AE plz gimme ;o
i found this site for 3DS max http://www.cgswot.com/tutorials.html which explains modeling, texturing, rigging and animating, most of the others are paysites which is againt my principles for beginners -.-
but any more sites that explain for beginners would be good to cuz there's still allot of buttons left that i dont know about <.<;
sorry if i made a to long post, thank you verry much in advance and super cool work u guys are doing.

cheers
Joey-V
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 07/9/2009, 8:52 am
Location: Belgium

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby afterburner on 08/15/2009, 10:29 pm

ImageIcarus - Tracker

Price: Free

Pros
  • Free
  • Easy to use
  • Available for Windows & Mac OS X
Cons
  • ?

Download - Windows
Download - Mac OS X
Tutorial - How to use
afterburner
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 08/6/2009, 11:05 am

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby djhallen on 09/15/2009, 3:42 pm

hey guys i just thought i would let you know that you can get a free copy of Maya if you sign up to their student program.

just give them your schooling email address and they give you a license! i cant see where the watermark is!

the license lasts six months and then i am sure one can get another license as long as they are still a student.

i found this great especially as i had the PLE for ages and after going mac could not find a mac download of it!

hope this helps people and you might want to put this in Maya's description.

Dan Allen
djhallen
 
Posts: 152
Joined: 12/15/2008, 9:41 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
Twitter: http://twitter.com/asproductions

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby edwardliu on 09/21/2009, 5:00 pm

Nuke should be in composting tools.
edwardliu
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 09/21/2009, 4:34 pm

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby david_m on 10/29/2009, 3:39 pm

Hi all I just finished reading these 3 pages and I also really want to make 3d animations....
I am a fanatic mac user and my goal is to create animations like in the cintroen commercials, cars that transform into robots etc, but also spaceships that you can track in to your composition and so on and so on....
Are things like this capable with cinema 4d, because 3dmax is only for windows and Maya is really hard to learn from what I read in this thread?

peace!
david_m
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 10/16/2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby tony on 10/29/2009, 4:15 pm

3D studio max is better.. Cinema 4D is more for motion graphics... but i think you can still do it in cinema 4D you just have to know that program well..... Also if you just wanna make shiny spaceships its probably not worth it... to get to that level you need years of studying the program just like AE... However if ur serious about 3D animation start by learning blender and how 3D works (its free) then move on to higher end stuff.
I make pixels twerk.
http://www.AntonioRodriguez.co
tony
 
Posts: 3371
Joined: 09/1/2008, 12:36 am

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby david_m on 10/29/2009, 4:32 pm

tony wrote:3D studio max is better.. Cinema 4D is more for motion graphics... but i think you can still do it in cinema 4D you just have to know that program well..... Also if you just wanna make shiny spaceships its probably not worth it... to get to that level you need years of studying the program just like AE... However if ur serious about 3D animation start by learning blender and how 3D works (its free) then move on to higher end stuff.


well I do want to get serious into 3d animation/modeling because I have the habbit to be really dedicated when I really want something if you know what I mean, but I'll take your advice :mrgreen:
david_m
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 10/16/2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby Catbox on 10/29/2009, 11:14 pm

Terrain Generator... GeoControl2 $119.95
Pros... Easy to use
very realistic terrains
Cons... Terrain and terrain texture only...
no trees or vegetation...
basic lighting... no skies

makes great terrains for Vue7 etc
http://www.geocontrol2.com/e_index.htm

3D modelling...Bryce 5.5 Free.... fully functional

Pros.... very easy to use...
free...
great to learn 3d concepts
animation is easy...
Cons... basic 3d... not in same category as maya or max etc
http://download.cnet.com/Bryce/3000-667 ... 96716.html
Catbox
 
Posts: 290
Joined: 08/4/2008, 7:22 pm

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby td0615 on 11/3/2009, 7:31 pm

dont forget autodesk matchmover that seems like a good one from a preview video thingi saw
http://youtube.com/users/tdo615 take a look at my work
td0615
 
Posts: 258
Joined: 04/17/2009, 7:46 pm
Location: California
Twitter: http://twitter.com/td0615

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby TomPietrowski on 11/7/2009, 8:42 am

david_m wrote:well I do want to get serious into 3d animation/modeling because I have the habbit to be really dedicated when I really want something if you know what I mean, but I'll take your advice :mrgreen:


Im pretty sure maya is available on macs now. When I got Maya 2009 in the summer the discs had both the windows and mac loaders.

If you are serious about it Maya is certainly one of the best options now. The 2010 release has all the fluids and dynamics, maya live a built in 3d tracker and Maya Composit which is Toxic which used to sell for a couple of thousand.

Maya is used in loads of animations. 3ds max is good too, but from my experience its better for modelling and creating scenes, hence its use in lots of video games, where as maya is much better for animation.
TomPietrowski
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: 11/18/2008, 3:55 am

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby jasonbond on 01/6/2010, 12:59 pm

Thank you very much for posting all of this! WOW! i cant believe how much some of this software is. $10,000 for boujou?? dont think ill ever be getting that.. i thought pftrack was a lot less, like $100?


http://www.fancyacar.co.uk/
jasonbond
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 01/6/2010, 12:31 pm

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby david_m on 02/9/2010, 2:52 pm

hi,

I'm just begon with learning maya, and I have downloaded some tutorials etc, but what books/tutorials etc are really must haves for the overal beginner? because I cant wait to start learning the software :)

so if you guys have any advice for me I would be blessed

thank you,

david
david_m
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 10/16/2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby sdertsr6 on 05/12/2010, 2:51 am

thanks for this site it's really helping a lot especially from some1 as beginner as me.. :D
sdertsr6
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 05/12/2010, 2:40 am

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby sysopny on 05/13/2010, 10:39 am

very impressive and good compilation.
i would add to the list some game engines, like Crysis or Gamebrio.
they got their own 3D modelers and rendering engine and start to be used a lot outside of game industry.
Crysis 3 is unbelievable and far more powerful then any industry standard 3D packages like 3DSM or Maya.
its cost around $350.000 to $600.000 i believe, but well worth it when it comes to development pipeline.

another 2 apps you might want to include is Swift 3d and Zam 3D from Electric rain.
they very easy and simple 3D modelers/texturing/renderers, far behind Max or Maya but they made for the web.
Swift exports to Flash and Zam exports to Silverlight. I think there is a Swift plugin for 3DSM also.
you can create a 3D model and integrate it into your website very easily with this two.
sysopny
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 05/13/2010, 10:31 am

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby Pigeon on 05/14/2010, 12:18 pm

sysopny wrote:very impressive and good compilation.
Crysis 3 is unbelievable and far more powerful then any industry standard 3D packages like 3DSM or Maya.


Unless you are referring to real-time rendering, you have got to be kidding. Because that is one of the most inaccurate statements I've ever heard.
Pigeon
 
Posts: 892
Joined: 08/8/2008, 3:54 am

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby sysopny on 05/25/2010, 4:31 pm

[quote="Pigeon]Unless you are referring to real-time rendering...[/quote]
yes i was referring to the real time rendering of massive data.
i am not talking about photo realistic
sysopny
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 05/13/2010, 10:31 am

Re: Industry Applications: A (Semi)-Complete Guide

Postby Pigeon on 05/26/2010, 11:06 am

sysopny wrote:[


Ok, then yes, Cryengine 3 is a very nice real-time renderer. Your post was a bit misleading though since you mentioned Cryengine 3 together with 3DS Max and Maya without mentioning anything about real-time rendering.
Pigeon
 
Posts: 892
Joined: 08/8/2008, 3:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Animation