General Compression Info

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

Re: General Compression Info

Postby DarkCellar on 09/18/2009, 7:54 am

Thank you, Andrew!

This (PhotoJPG) is exactly what I was looking for to solve a major workflow problem I dug myself into. Being on a PC, I never considered QT for an intermediate codec, but I did a test and not only does it work, but Premiere doesn't seem to care that it's not native. You saved me a ton of time :D

-Mitch
DarkCellar

Postby Parmezzan on 02/7/2010, 4:48 pm

I use to render at .wma file so i can play with it in wmv later on, the file is pretty small when ju render att maximum bitrate (10000) and quality, and ofc HD 1280 x 720 :D
Parmezzan

Postby Parmezzan on 02/9/2010, 8:18 am

Okey I need help...

When I export from the renderqueue, in any formats, the video gets faster then the original. Like 2x speed or something. What shall i do? :shock:
Parmezzan

Postby madasahatter on 03/4/2010, 9:05 pm

I have read through quite a bit of this thread, and I'm still a little foggy.

I have an hour of HDV footage that I will capture...Out of that, several clips will need to be exported from Premiere (or maybe Vegas) into After Effects for special effects,then exported back in Vegas for further editing.

Which codec to export from Premier or Vegas? QT using high quality jpeg? I am worried about the footage blending back alongside the original footage...I have tried using .avi with no copression,but honestly,I see loss in quality?! Is this right?

Help please, as I can start until I know where to begin!

Videcopilot rocks!
madasahatter

Postby KayleL on 05/8/2010, 9:35 am

This is what I use.

Anything that I make in After Effect, I use uncompressed AVI. You should use this if you know the video is going to be compressed again. The file is going to be huge. 10 seconds is ~1GB for 1280x720x24 video.

Final export:
H.264
1280x720
24 fps
4-6 Mbps
AAC 320 Kbps audio (I like to overkill with audio, so 128 Kbps is more than enough)

The video is clean and crisp for any type of video I make. And the file size is now about 10-15 MB for 30 seconds. Pretty darn good for 720p
Kayle "Robbie" Lang
KayleL

Postby marcusjungerstam on 06/14/2010, 6:16 am

Hey Andrew!

Cant you post a tutorial how to up convert sd to hd?
It would help allot :)

Thanks
marcusjungerstam

Postby Frankleen on 10/26/2010, 7:21 pm

Hi, I'm new here so maybe you already said this... but anyway, I found a great way to compress video for streaming and uploading. I'm a DP and I made this showreel (http://vimeo.com/15923406). The file is big only 174.5MB for 4 minutes and a half and it's 1920x1080 resolution (so on Vimeo you can see it full screen and it's still great quality). Mostly of the footage is shot on RED One and then exported with REDCine-X, edited on Final Cut Pro and then compressed with Compressor using this particular settings:

- compression type: H.264
- data rate restricted to 5000 kbits/sec
- best quality (multi-pass)
- key frames every 30 frames with frame reordering
- audio AAC, 44.100kHz and best quality
- for streaming select "fast start - compressed header"
- make pixel aspect 1.0000 with square selection
- choose "better (linear filter)" in resize filter
- output fields and deinterlace depend how you shot it
- rate conversion on fast

For now these are the best settings I found out for streaming and uploading videos on Vimeo and YouTube (I prefer Vimeo for a best compression quality). If you guys found a settings better than this lemme know!
Klaatu barada nikto to everybody!
--------------------------------------------------------
Luigi Benvisto - Director of Photography
Showreel: http://vimeo.com/15923406
Frankleen

Postby Frankleen on 10/26/2010, 7:25 pm

Hi, I'm new here so maybe you already said this... but anyway, I found a great way to compress video for streaming and uploading. I'm a DP and I made this showreel (http://vimeo.com/15923406). The file is big only 174.5MB for 4 minutes and a half and it's 1920x1080 resolution (so on Vimeo you can see it full screen and it's still great quality). Mostly of the footage is shot on RED One and then exported with REDCine-X, edited on Final Cut Pro and then compressed with Compressor using this particular settings:

For now these are the best settings I found out for streaming and uploading videos on Vimeo and YouTube (I prefer Vimeo for a best compression quality). If you guys found a settings better than this lemme know!
Frankleen

Postby Escape Artist on 11/15/2010, 11:49 am

northZephyr wrote:Hi guys,
after reading this thread, it really helped me understand ALOT of things about compression.
I never actually thought about QuickTime format. Always used .avi with Divx which gives crappy quality if I want small filesize.

Anyway, I have some things to clear up about the usual WORKFLOW for a HD movie.

I'm using the Sony SR12 which uses AVCHD format, the files are in .MTS format...

is this what I should do to keep quality/filesize to its best?

1- Download all filmed footage to harddrive in (mts format)
2- Import them in Sony Vegas and do the usual movie editing.
3- Import all footage that needs VFX in them in AE and do the VFX
4- Export the completed VFX shots in MOV using PNG or PhotoJPEG.
5- Import the VFX sequences in vegas and place them in the storyline.
6- After movie completed, export the whole video from Sony Vegas using H.264/MPEG AVC codec.

is that it ?
There shouldn't be any quality loss during all the process while keeping a reasonable filesize, right ?

Thanks!

EDIT: when you guys refer to the term 'mastering' , does it mean the video files that are uncompressed and used back and forth between the VFX programs (AE) and the editing programs (Vegas) ?
and from what I understand, 'delivery' is the unique final video file that is presented to public or uploaded on internet.

sry, my english's bad when it comes to specific technical terms

Hi guys. New to AE!!

I've been searching the forums for compression and workflow info and my head is spinning.

The quote above is basically what I'm asking too.

Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

Chris
Escape Artist

Postby creole on 11/16/2010, 3:57 pm

SE7ENFX wrote:I usually just export a Quick Time Movie...
Compression - H.264
Quality - Medium/High
Encoding Mode - Multi-Pass
Dimensions 640x480

Usually works for me, or if you have iSquint or VisualHub just export to MP4 and the file size is always small

640x480 ??
So you are compressing (conforming) 720/1080p h264 down to 640x480?? Yes u wont get what appears to be any image quality loss as you are conforming. This is ok if you are wanting to compress to a PDA/iphone small LCD media device and possibly youtube.

but try rending HD to HD one to one with compression, and you will get artifacts and image loss for sure.
It may not be noticeable to normal people, but its definately there!

Multi pass encoding is good. thats where it retains image quality. But also depends on the MBPS rate you
compress to.
creole

Postby creole on 11/16/2010, 4:06 pm

As long as you compress lossless in h.264 you will retain image quality even at low MBPS rate that you used there.

Its when you use a compressed codec format like a non .264 comrpession format ie: WMV, MPEG, is when you start seeing bits of crust and all sorts of UFO's! lol.

I mentioned before , if you have to use a non .264 compression, that you must at least select a high MBPS xfer rate around 10mbps, and you need some sort of multipass, like CBR two pass, or VBR high quality to retain all that HD compression yo.

But yeh. stick to h264 lossless, and it doesnt matter if you use Quicktime MOV, AVCHD, MP4.

Frankleen wrote:Hi, I'm new here so maybe you already said this... but anyway, I found a great way to compress video for streaming and uploading. I'm a DP and I made this showreel (http://vimeo.com/15923406). The file is big only 174.5MB for 4 minutes and a half and it's 1920x1080 resolution (so on Vimeo you can see it full screen and it's still great quality). Mostly of the footage is shot on RED One and then exported with REDCine-X, edited on Final Cut Pro and then compressed with Compressor using this particular settings:

creole

Postby Ali Hasan on 12/23/2010, 9:50 pm

Hello Guys, Please Help

I see VideoCopilot Tutorial HQ and low file size (.flv), Can you tell me what's the Application Use for Compression.

Tutorial Glow Ground

Size
56.5 MB

File Type .flv

Duration 21m:19s

Dimension
1024*768
Ali Hasan

Postby Frankleen on 01/5/2011, 7:59 pm

Ali Hasan wrote:Hello Guys, Please Help

I see VideoCopilot Tutorial HQ and low file size (.flv), Can you tell me what's the Application Use for Compression.

Tutorial Glow Ground

Size
56.5 MB

File Type .flv

Duration 21m:19s

Dimension
1024*768

After Effects can do it. Use "Add to render queue" and then in the right box select "FLV".
Frankleen

Postby john7911 on 03/14/2011, 9:21 am

Hi, and thank you for this important topic.
I have a question: when I export to .mov --> photo-jpg I loose quality, what I have to do in order to have the same quality? Thank you. ;)
john7911

Postby Awakurimi on 03/14/2011, 10:06 am

You shouldn't really see a huge loss in quality with photojpeg to be honest. However, to keep the original quality, use uncompressed codecs like Quicktime animation or PNG, or uncompressed AVI.
Awakurimi

Postby john7911 on 03/16/2011, 8:40 am

Awakurimi wrote:You shouldn't really see a huge loss in quality with photojpeg to be honest. However, to keep the original quality, use uncompressed codecs like Quicktime animation or PNG, or uncompressed AVI.

;) thank you for your response.
I think because i change the dimension, at the beginning the video is 1920x1080 and i want it 1280x720. All videos are .MTS.
john7911

Postby Shurai on 06/17/2011, 7:28 am

So is exporting a project from premiere in a quicktime format and H.264 Codec considered good for compression? I find most of my files to still be quite large using this.

Also when exporting from AE using quicktime and photojpeg, is that considered finished? I Ended up using and AE clip with those settings in premiere and exported it using quicktime, and H.264 and it was half the size of just the AE clip that was originally used. Did end up compressing the AE clip two times?
Shurai

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 08/16/2011, 12:56 pm

Your wording left me a little confused, but I think I can manage.

Shurai wrote:So is exporting a project from premiere in a quicktime format and H.264 Codec considered good for compression? I find most of my files to still be quite large using this.
That H.264 is great for compression. It's pretty much THE standard delivery format for HD video. The question is; what data rate are you using? That'll determine the size of your finished file.

Shurai wrote:Also when exporting from AE using quicktime and photojpeg, is that considered finished?
JPEG is technically a somewhat lossy format, but at the higher quality/data rate settings, it's close enough to lossless for most uses.

Shurai wrote:I Ended up using and AE clip with those settings in premiere and exported it using quicktime, and H.264 and it was half the size of just the AE clip that was originally used. Did end up compressing the AE clip two times?

This is the part I get confused on. Your wording isn't exactly clear. What are you asking? H.264 is much more compressed than the JPEG codec so the file size would be smaller...
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby jack520 on 09/5/2011, 2:38 am

Jeffrey wrote:
Zifu wrote:
PeXoN wrote:I render my files in quick time with photo jpeg compression. My compressed file is small and looks great, but when I upload it on YouTube - the quality turns from great to worst ever! Any thoughts anyone?

I've experienced this same problem too. Youtube has been upgraded to allow higher resolution quality video thankfully. You may have a problem with your video dimensions. Youtube viewing box is still set to a static 4:3 aspect ratio, and for the longest time that's what was throwing me off in uploading and viewing in the "higher quality" video setting. Youtube compresses all your uploaded video to FLV anyway so you want the most uncompressed source video as possible. But the trick is to make sure you frame your source video in a 4:3 aspect ratio (if it isn't already). If your video is say 16:9 this means manually encoding it with black bars to preserve the aspect ratio. Maybe even adjusting the scale property in your non-linear editing software to accomodate this restriction. I reccommend you encode as 640X480 or something squarish. After doing this myself, my video was displayed beautifully.

(*honestly I believe Vimeo.com is ahead of the curve compared to Youtube)

Well, I've tried something else, and I can just upload a WIDESCREEN (not 4:3) video to youtube, and it's widescreen on youtube also.
Just export uncompressed AVI, then use Virtualdub and K-lite mega codec pack, use the DIVX plugin there, insane quality and set the ASPECT RATIO in there to 720x400 (that's for PAL, don't know this for NTSC), and that works really fine for me, and it's WIDESCREEN on your widescreen monitor, and that's a relieve.

TEST VIDEO : http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=SLpnOA7lLm8&fmt=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And some screenshots to explain it a little bit better.
ImageCoach Outlet
I like this post ,because I learn some knowledge from it.Thank you very much.
jack520

Postby McCloud on 12/11/2011, 9:24 am

Hey guys,
lot's of it written here.. everyone talks about the h264, but I am a bit confussed.
Here I have a post already, also with 2 comparison pics from a gameplay video.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=72208
You can see the colors are significantly washed out and also a bit of quality (resolution) lost, which is not good to see on the screenshots.

I use this method:
1. Make my vid in ae, render as uncompressed avi, 1280x720.
2. Use h264 with best settings to compress
3. the filesize is great, but the quality changed as I mentioned

I used the h264 with different compression programs, but the main problems (loss of colors) is still the same.
Now, to compress a video without loosing quality is my biggest problem, so I'd be thankfull to any good, working advice or technique. ;)
McCloud

Previous

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression