General Compression Info

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

General Compression Info

Postby Andrew Kramer on 07/28/2008, 3:01 pm

Here is some info on compression that was posted in the blog.
http://www.videocopilot.net/blog/?s=compression
Andrew Kramer
VC Awesome Guy
VC Awesome Guy

Re: General Compression Info

Postby SE7ENFX on 08/1/2008, 6:08 pm

I just use QuickTime Pro for all my compression... Got a 350mb video down to 17mb today with hardly any quality difference!
(new site is brilliant btw)
SE7ENFX

Postby Artflame Noir on 08/1/2008, 6:55 pm

SE7ENFX wrote:I just use QuickTime Pro for all my compression... Got a 350mb video down to 17mb today with hardly any quality difference!

Oh, could you tell us how... :D I have a QTpro but had no idea this could be done... sure sounds handy, when sending previews to clients.
Artflame Noir

Postby jorberg on 08/1/2008, 7:04 pm

SE7ENFX wrote:I just use QuickTime Pro for all my compression... Got a 350mb video down to 17mb today with hardly any quality difference!

WOW!! Please share your knowledge!! I have no idea how to do that!
jorberg

Postby SE7ENFX on 08/1/2008, 7:16 pm

I usually just export a Quick Time Movie...
Compression - H.264
Quality - Medium/High
Encoding Mode - Multi-Pass
Dimensions 640x480

Usually works for me, or if you have iSquint or VisualHub just export to MP4 and the file size is always small
SE7ENFX

Postby ctrl+z on 08/1/2008, 7:23 pm

Open your video in QT Pro
File > Export

Choose Movie to QuickTime Movie (or any of the other options)
Select Options

From here you can fool around with the various settings.

I generally render QT Photo JPGs at 95% directly out of After Effects, unless of course I need transparency, than I'll use PNG.

You do occasionally (read: often) run into some colour banding, bumping your comp up to 16bpc will usually take care of this. If not I will create an adjustment layer above the stuff suffering from colour banding and apply the Noise filter, 2%-4% usually works brilliantly.
ctrl+z

Postby narenn on 08/1/2008, 9:08 pm

H.264 is your best choice for compression guys. But like Andrew says, its meant for delivery of your content, not mastering. A typical codec used in mastering is like the Pro Res 422 (aka uncompressed)
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Postby MX Filmer on 08/2/2008, 10:59 am

I use Final Cut Pro 5, I am having troble understanding the right compression. I want to use flash but everytime I can't put it on the web. I use go daddy with dreamweaver but it never works. I upload the html page along with the .flv video and when I check it...the video doesn't play!
MX Filmer

Postby imacwesker on 08/2/2008, 9:16 pm

I usually save my main footage in QT Pro with the codec Animation. The result is a huuuuuge file but with perfect quality.
Then, when I want to show my work to someone, I export it in H264 with the compressor settings set from medium to high.
imacwesker

Postby PeXoN on 08/3/2008, 9:15 am

I render my files in quick time with photo jpeg compression. My compressed file is small and looks great, but when I upload it on YouTube - the quality turns from great to worst ever! Any thoughts anyone?
PeXoN

Postby Gufferson on 08/3/2008, 10:33 am

I use Premiere CS3, when you go file> export> movie - and simply save the file in like a NTSC DV or AVI setitng is that an uncompressed version, files are generally larger in size when you do it this way so I am assuming its an uncompressed file, or with very little compression.

What I am getting at, is after you do it that way could you then not use QT or any other program to make a compressed version and or Master Copy? or would said thing be you Master Copy?
Gufferson

Postby Fabian on 08/4/2008, 1:53 pm

I always use Divx for sending videos to my friends (I think the filesize and quality is unbelievable)
For the master version I use quicktime animation. I'm wondering why so few people use divx for compression. :?:
Fabian
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: speedbreaker

Postby Zifu on 08/5/2008, 8:29 am

PeXoN wrote:I render my files in quick time with photo jpeg compression. My compressed file is small and looks great, but when I upload it on YouTube - the quality turns from great to worst ever! Any thoughts anyone?

I've experienced this same problem too. Youtube has been upgraded to allow higher resolution quality video thankfully. You may have a problem with your video dimensions. Youtube viewing box is still set to a static 4:3 aspect ratio, and for the longest time that's what was throwing me off in uploading and viewing in the "higher quality" video setting. Youtube compresses all your uploaded video to FLV anyway so you want the most uncompressed source video as possible. But the trick is to make sure you frame your source video in a 4:3 aspect ratio (if it isn't already). If your video is say 16:9 this means manually encoding it with black bars to preserve the aspect ratio. Maybe even adjusting the scale property in your non-linear editing software to accomodate this restriction. I reccommend you encode as 640X480 or something squarish. After doing this myself, my video was displayed beautifully.

(*honestly I believe Vimeo.com is ahead of the curve compared to Youtube)
Zifu

Postby narenn on 08/10/2008, 7:41 am

DivX is good, I just think H.264 is even better when mastered right
narenn
VC Moderator
VC Moderator

Twitter: http://twitter.com/narennaidoo

Postby dren on 08/13/2008, 12:12 am

Hmm... I use Quicktime Photo JPEG quality 80%... Does the job for me lol :)
http://www.absolutelygeek.com/ - 3D Animation/VFX Student Portfolio
dren

Postby Blackout on 08/15/2008, 9:03 am

I'm not pro at it, but I usually just export from AE or Premier with the normal high settings with the 100+ meg files. Then I use total video converter for everything else. It will convert about any format into about another other format - Flash SWF, FLV... Quick Time, Divx, Xvid, Mpeg... It also gives options to change the size, crop it, change the audio, replace the audio, etc....

I started using TVC when I had people wanting their flash stuff put on CD or DVD. Instead of having to export it from flash or re-author it TVC would directly convert an SWF to a VBO or whatever.
Blackout

Postby Jeffrey on 08/15/2008, 1:53 pm

Zifu wrote:
PeXoN wrote:I render my files in quick time with photo jpeg compression. My compressed file is small and looks great, but when I upload it on YouTube - the quality turns from great to worst ever! Any thoughts anyone?

I've experienced this same problem too. Youtube has been upgraded to allow higher resolution quality video thankfully. You may have a problem with your video dimensions. Youtube viewing box is still set to a static 4:3 aspect ratio, and for the longest time that's what was throwing me off in uploading and viewing in the "higher quality" video setting. Youtube compresses all your uploaded video to FLV anyway so you want the most uncompressed source video as possible. But the trick is to make sure you frame your source video in a 4:3 aspect ratio (if it isn't already). If your video is say 16:9 this means manually encoding it with black bars to preserve the aspect ratio. Maybe even adjusting the scale property in your non-linear editing software to accomodate this restriction. I reccommend you encode as 640X480 or something squarish. After doing this myself, my video was displayed beautifully.

(*honestly I believe Vimeo.com is ahead of the curve compared to Youtube)

Well, I've tried something else, and I can just upload a WIDESCREEN (not 4:3) video to youtube, and it's widescreen on youtube also.
Just export uncompressed AVI, then use Virtualdub and K-lite mega codec pack, use the DIVX plugin there, insane quality and set the ASPECT RATIO in there to 720x400 (that's for PAL, don't know this for NTSC), and that works really fine for me, and it's WIDESCREEN on your widescreen monitor, and that's a relieve.

TEST VIDEO : http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=SLpnOA7lLm8&fmt=18

And some screenshots to explain it a little bit better.
Jeffrey

Postby Q-Factor on 08/19/2008, 5:10 pm

Hello,
I encode everything to MPEG4-AVC using the combination of AVISynth and x264.
AVISynth is a very powerful scriptable frameserver and x264 a commandline-encoder to produce H.264 videostreams. With the use of different AVISynth-scripts you can handle almost every video-source-type. When feeding x264 with those scripts you can encode your video to H.264.
In order to get very high end-quality I prefer lossless PNG-Sequenz-Rendering or (slighly lossy) JPEG-Sequenz-Rendering or lossless AVI, depending on how much free HDD-Space is currently available.

Anyway, it´s not that simple. You have to write your AVS-Scripts manually and have to learn how to set up the encoder-commandline correctly (there are a few GUIs also, just google for MeGUI, StaxRip, AVIDemux ...). But hey, it´s all freeware and once you got it, you can produce very high quality videos, with small file-sizes if needed :).

@Jeffrey
I would not recommend to install any kind of codec pack, sooner or later it will shatter your DirectShow-System, believe me.
Also a normal user will never! need more than about 5 Codecs/Filters/Splitters ..., so just go to the corresponding website, download the codec you really need and install it separetly, this will safe you a lot of trouble.

greets
Q-Factor
Q-Factor

Postby mundabe on 08/28/2008, 1:06 pm

hey andrew.

Big fan of your work!!!

have a question about compressing QT files. how many times can you actually compress a file before some quality loss can be seen? like for ex. i use AF for my motion graphics, create a QT hi res file and place it in Premiere for editing. export that as another QT and sometimes re-edit that file back in AF for more VFX. im not being anal or anythin but im just wonderin how many times can i actually compress and export video till i see some problems.

thanx in advance!!!

mundabe
mundabe

Postby Artflame Noir on 08/28/2008, 3:20 pm

QT is just a container... quality it self is determined by a codec used in it...

if u use animation codec in QT, the quality is NEVER lost... well, as long as u stay in animation codec...

tiff or png seq is the same

photo jpg at 100 can take up to 4-5 levels before your see it fall apart...

I suggest you read the link in the first post of this thread.
Artflame Noir

Postby paulstiks on 09/1/2008, 6:50 am

guys! i need help as this is frustrating?

i love AE its an amazing program and have learnt alot within it.

never the less i want to create a .swf file to upload to the internet!

my problem is when i export a .mov file the size is for example 160mb, i try to convert to .swf file using flashcs3 or a flash converter but to get it to a small enough file that it loads quick enough i lose quality dramatically!

can anyone suggest either a program, compression settings or something else that will help me as ive seen this done while keeping amazing quality and sound and loads quickly with no stuttering???

Thanks guys
paulstiks

Postby Artflame Noir on 09/1/2008, 9:51 am

paul... read the whole thread... you'll find a lot ways to do it here.

alternately, you can kick the video out as wmv9 file... takes long but the quality is great and it intergrates well into flash.
Artflame Noir

Postby paulstiks on 09/2/2008, 1:27 am

thanx artflame ill give that a go!

i did read the whole thread before posting but was still no wiser maybe i missed something lol

thanx anyway ill give that a go.
paulstiks

Postby Artflame Noir on 09/2/2008, 4:43 pm

Lol, the idea is: there are many different compression methods shown in this thread... you must first make a small file, and then integrate that small file into flash... integrating a 160M file will always leave you frustrated...

if u have premiere, definitely use wmv output.

another great software is TMPG... it's a proffesional tool, has very wide array of formats, renders fast and it's easy to tweak stuff to what u need.
Artflame Noir

Postby paulstiks on 09/3/2008, 9:53 am

ok ive managed to get my video down to about 4mb thanx to Artflame!

but ive run into another problem....

i cant seem to convert the wmv file into flash :s

ive tryed everythin in flashcs3 to convert, funny tho i have to flash players version 7 and version 9,
now when i export from flash cs3 my file will play in v9 but not in v7, same when i upload the file there appears to be nothing there.....!

ive tryed swish max (as horrible as the program is) but it was on my comp so thought id give it ago and that was just terrible....

so basically im stuck :cry:

these might be amateur questions 2 ask guys and i apologies but non the less i still need 2 ask as im now bold from stress lol.

HELP! lol
paulstiks

Next

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression