DVD/Movie to Vegas or AE?

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

DVD/Movie to Vegas or AE?

Postby Lucidity on 02/21/2012, 2:50 pm

I got a couple of movies in containers of .MKV and .AVI, neighter of these are working to import to Sony Vegas or After Effects. I got no idea what kind of codec that are used on them.
I have been googling around and found answer on Creative Cow that using Super(C) software with a lossless codec.
I was getting this Super(C) software and the codec, did as said but I'm just getting error that says "Failure on opening driver".

Is there any easy way to convert?
Lucidity

Re: DVD/Movie to Vegas or AE?

Postby jax_rox on 02/21/2012, 5:05 pm

Use Mpeg streamclip to convert the .avi
Not sure about .mkv, I am yet to find a decent converter that coverts from mkv to anything else.. and editing software certainly won't look at mkv files. You may find that the avi is a Divx file as well which is why it won't import.
jax_rox

Postby jsn951 on 02/22/2012, 8:50 pm

handbrake(its free) will convert the mkv files, they will become mp4 files but you will be able to control the compression to retain some quality.

http://handbrake.fr/
Challenge yourself, be Creative!
http://joosefxdigital.blogspot.com/
jsn951

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 06/8/2015, 11:01 am

chris198810 wrote: The quick workaround is to change AVI to After Effects supported MPEG (the most compatible video format for AE) file format and then transfer the converted AVI videos to After Effects for editing.

That's terrible advice. MPEG is NOT the most compatible video format for AE. And there are several different versions of MPEG. MPEG-4 being a pretty recent one with H.264 being a primary example of it, but you CERTAINLY don't want to reencode into MORE compressed formats for post work. If you must convert, convert to a proper production codec such as QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec or QuickTime with the PNG codec.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby ohmygeeks on 10/12/2015, 7:57 pm

Since container formats like AVI, MKV contain various codecs which may not be compatible with Vegas or AE. I suggest you can convert your video to MP4 format with H.264/AAC codec. It's the most compatible format, I suppose.
ohmygeeks

System Specs: Windows 7 Ultimate

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 10/13/2015, 11:01 am

ohmygeeks wrote:Since container formats like AVI, MKV contain various codecs which may not be compatible with Vegas or AE. I suggest you can convert your video to MP4 format with H.264/AAC codec. It's the most compatible format, I suppose.

You are incorrect. Read my post directly above this one.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby Farmfield on 10/13/2015, 3:32 pm

^ listen to Michael!

As for me, unless it's Prores, r3d or alike - and often even if, as I might reformat for performance reasons - I keep to image sequences, they are more stable to handle, less application issues. Though not sure what formats are best in AE, I mostly use tga (footage/assets) and exr's (renders/renderpasses).
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression