Perfect circles won't stay perfect circles?!

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

Perfect circles won't stay perfect circles?!

Postby SammyDeZ on 01/26/2011, 9:25 pm

So I was attempting to mimic the 84. Futuristic HUD tutorial, and when I try to make the target for the eye, and then rotate it on the Z axis the circle becomes an oval and looks horrible!

All the steps I made. (i think i did everything the way Andrew Kramer said to.)
1. I made a new comp and made it 640x360
2. Made a new solid (white) and made it 360x360 (perfect square)
3. double click the eclipse tool to make a perfect circle. (now at this point the circle looks like it should, a perfect circle.)
4. Duplicated the Mask, pressed subtract on the duplicate and brought the expansion inward
5. added another mask with the pen tool. set it to subtract. (it still is looking the way it should)
6. make it a 3D layer and rotate it on the Z axis. (this is where it screws up.)

When rotated it clearly turns into an oval. I'm not sure if the comp has to be a certain size or if a made a mask wrong or what the problem may be, but it would be much appreciated if someone could help me with this problem I'm having!

Thanks!
Attachments
Picture 3.png
SammyDeZ

Re: Perfect circles won't stay perfect circles?!

Postby ngambles on 01/28/2011, 8:23 am

SammyDeZ wrote:All the steps I made. (i think i did everything the way Andrew Kramer said to.)
1. I made a new comp and made it 640x360

Your comp is set to something other than square pixels for the pixel aspect ratio. When you start you project use a square pixel comp and then all solid layers you create will have the same square pixel aspect ratio. Then when you rotate your circle will not become an oval since all pixels have the same width as they have height.

Cheers
ngambles

Re: Perfect circles won't stay perfect circles?!

Postby DiRTDOG on 09/8/2014, 4:36 am

This fixed my issue thanks for the tip.
DiRTDOG

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression