Importing MiniDV Wide Screen Help!

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

Importing MiniDV Wide Screen Help!

Postby Agent_X_rifle on 10/12/2009, 3:41 pm

I currently have two MiniDV Camcorders, which I set for wide screen, but whenever I import it into Premiere Pro (CS4) it imports it into 4:3, stretching the video. I open the project as NTSC Wide Screen Square Pixel, but it still imports it as 4:3 >-|| . So any help would be very nice!
Agent_X_rifle

Re: Importing MiniDV Wide Screen Help!

Postby beansontoast on 10/13/2009, 9:12 pm

Is it stretched vertically? If so what you have recored is called "anamorphic" you need to tell your edit software thats what your dealing with, then it will stretch it out horizontally for you. sorry cant help with premier.
But you will need to find the correct settings as I know that it will not be square pixels.
beansontoast

Postby OneEyedProd on 10/14/2009, 11:56 pm

A 16:9 image in a 4:3 project should be squished, stretched vertically, or letterboxed. Widescreen pixels forced into square pixels will look squished too.
You want to set up a new sequence using one of the DV-NTSC (or PAL) - Widescreen presets.
OneEyedProd

Postby Agent_X_rifle on 10/23/2009, 8:01 pm

The project is set to 16:9, and the Mini DV is set to 16:9, but when i try to import it, it forces the import to be 4:3, then i have to stretch the video to fit the 16:9

Is their some sort of import setting I don't know about?
Agent_X_rifle

Postby Agent_X_rifle on 12/16/2009, 10:46 am

I feel bad for bumping this thread, but I still cannot import widescreen minidv footage into a widescreen project. Everytime I try, it tries to import my minidv footage in 4:3 instead of 16:9.
I really need help because I have recorded all my footage in widescreen, and I don't want it to be stretched looking.
Agent_X_rifle

Postby ngambles on 12/16/2009, 11:19 am

What kind of camera are you using? Make and model?

I still cannot import widescreen minidv footage into a widescreen project

Have you already captured the footage? Using Premiere? Something else? Or are you still trying to get it off your tape?

If you have already captured, explain how you did it.

Can you watch it using Quicktime, Windows Media, or VLC player? Is it "stretched" there? Letterboxed? etc...?

How is it stretched? Can you provide a screen shot?

@OneEyedProd
Widescreen pixels forced into square pixels will look squished too.

This is true.
You want to set up a new sequence using one of the DV-NTSC (or PAL) - Widescreen presets.

This is not necessarily true. It will depend on what you're trying to do and where you actually are in the process.

Just making the pixels a different pixel aspect ratio, like changing from 1.2 to square will cause things to look distorted, but you can put a wide screen assets inside a square pixel sequence and have everything look just fine for output on computers or other hand-held devices as long as you have set things up correctly.

The DV Widescreen Square Pixel sequence preset is designed specifically for this so it should be doing most of the setup for you.

You just have to provide as much info as possible about your project/ procedures as a whole, because right now we can only guess as to what's going wrong.

Cheers
ngambles

Postby FrankBlack on 12/16/2009, 4:36 pm

Try using Windows Movie Maker to pull your DV. 16x9 footage from your camera is really 4x3 it is just stretched by the camera that is why PP probably is interpreting incorrectly.
FrankBlack

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression