CLIP SHORTER THAN ONE FRAME FOR A SELF-HELP VIDEO

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

CLIP SHORTER THAN ONE FRAME FOR A SELF-HELP VIDEO

Postby eclipse_SL on 09/4/2014, 2:12 pm

Hi! I am trying to do a self-help video and I would like to use Premiere to do it. I have to put subliminal message in text. For this, I will need to get a clip shorter than a frame (0,02 sec), because I have read that it works putting the text so quick (you shouldn´t see the letters). In Premiere I only get one Frame and I can see the letters.

Any idea for this? Someone has done something similar and can help me? I don´t kwon exactly which size of letters is better, position, time betwen letters......

Thanks in advance.
eclipse_SL

Re: CLIP SHORTER THAN ONE FRAME FOR A SELF-HELP VIDEO

Postby Farmfield on 09/4/2014, 2:59 pm

A frame is the editors version of planck time. There is no shorter. It's 1 frame or no frame.
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby Faust on 09/4/2014, 5:33 pm

You could try doubling the output frame rate and stretching the clip out to twice the length, that way the perceived frame rate of the footage is the same but it allows you freedom to go even shorter. You could also lower the opacity of the text so it is less obvious on the frame that it is visible
I have dual citizenship with the United States and Florida.

http://chariotdrive.com/
Faust

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Zeke_Faust
System Specs: Intel 4930k 6-Core 3.4 GHz
GIGABYTE GTX 1080
32GB RAM
2x240GB Samsung SSD
1TB Samsung SSD

Postby MotionGraphics ab on 09/4/2014, 7:22 pm

Just to add to what others have said, a frame is a frame, but you can work out mathematically what your frame rate needs to be to get 0.02 second for a frame which is 50fps video.

i.e. 1 second divided by 50 frames per second = 0.02 seconds per frame.

From this calculation you can determine if you want your entire video to work at that frame rate and adjust accordingly. If any video you've shot is already complete, this is not really an option without frame interpolation (not necessarily a good idea) and therefore you can do the maths the other way around to determine how long a frame stays on screen with your already shot footage frame rate.
MotionGraphics ab

Twitter: https://twitter.com/mo_graph

Postby eclipse_SL on 09/4/2014, 11:48 pm

Hi! Thanks to all for the answer.... I want to do it with a Title Clip....
Faust wrote:You could try doubling the output frame rate and stretching the clip out to twice the length, that way the perceived frame rate of the footage is the same but it allows you freedom to go even shorter. You could also lower the opacity of the text so it is less obvious on the frame that it is visible

MotionGraphics ab wrote:Just to add to what others have said, a frame is a frame, but you can work out mathematically what your frame rate needs to be to get 0.02 second for a frame which is 50fps video.

i.e. 1 second divided by 50 frames per second = 0.02 seconds per frame.

From this calculation you can determine if you want your entire video to work at that frame rate and adjust accordingly. If any video you've shot is already complete, this is not really an option without frame interpolation (not necessarily a good idea) and therefore you can do the maths the other way around to determine how long a frame stays on screen with your already shot footage frame rate.

I have understood the theory but how I can do it in premiere? ;)

The idea is to use a Title that I can´t see because it is very quick. When I go into the options of the clip I see the duration of the clip (I only can choose 1 frame) ....

Thanks in advance!!
eclipse_SL

Postby MotionGraphics ab on 09/5/2014, 4:37 am

If you've truly understood the theory, then you choose your fps when creating a new project by choosing Custom rather than fixed presets.

You either need to change the number of fps for your video footage and then add in your title, so a frame of title equals 0.02 seconds (50 fps), or accept that your title stays on screen longer because your frame rate is, for instance, 24fps.

There are many things to consider if you think you want to change the fps of your video footage so that your title can be on screen for only 0.02 seconds. Your video will have to interpolate frames and that will decrease its quality and you need to ensure 50fps video is acceptable for distribution.

I think you possibly need to read through the above posts again though, because if your video footage, not your subliminal message title, is a different number of fps then you can't mix the two together and keep the integrity of both parts. The number of fps is fixed for the entire project.
MotionGraphics ab

Twitter: https://twitter.com/mo_graph

Postby eclipse_SL on 09/5/2014, 4:59 am

MotionGraphics ab wrote:If you've truly understood the theory, then you choose your fps when creating a new project by choosing Custom rather than fixed presets.

You either need to change the number of fps for your video footage and then add in your title, so a frame of title equals 0.02 seconds (50 fps), or accept that your title stays on screen longer because your frame rate is, for instance, 24fps.

There are many things to consider if you think you want to change the fps of your video footage so that your title can be on screen for only 0.02 seconds. Your video will have to interpolate frames and that will decrease its quality and you need to ensure 50fps video is acceptable for distribution.

I think you possibly need to read through the above posts again though, because if your video footage, not your subliminal message title, is a different number of fps then you can't mix the two together and keep the integrity of both parts. The number of fps is fixed for the entire project.

Thanks for your answer. My principal video Will be a photo so I think that should not be a problem to change the framerate.... I Will try Ana feedback.

A lot of Thanks!
eclipse_SL

Postby eclipse_SL on 09/25/2014, 5:02 am

I have done it, and it works... I only have a problem and is that I will need a frame shorter than 1/60.... I will need a frame with a duration of 0.007 seconds more at least.

Any good idea about it? ;)

Thanks for your help!
eclipse_SL

Postby Farmfield on 09/25/2014, 7:20 am

This is pretty straight forward math and you really need to understand that every frame is equal to one still image and you cannot have something shorter than one frame, it's just impossible.

It really is as simple as division. If your framerate is 24 frames a second, the time for each frame is 1/24 seconds = 0.0417 seconds. For 30 fps that's 1/30 = 0.033 seconds, for 50 fps that's 1/50 = 0.02 seconds etc...

And it naturally works the other way around, so 0.007 seconds per frame would be 1 second divided by the frame length of 0.007 seconds = 142.8 frames a second.

But say you set the framerate in AE to 142.8 frames a second and make one frame your subliminal image, as soon as you upload that to Youtube or Vimeo or in any way convert it to a broadcast compatible frame rate, that information will most likely be lost - and the odds for it are based on your frame rate conversion, so converting to 24 fps would be 24/142.8 which equals a ~1:6 chance of your frame being left in after that conversion. And if it would be left in, the frame would now be 1/24 seconds long again.

You really have no way around this.
Farmfield

Postby LordEdington on 11/27/2014, 3:45 pm

Sorry to be blunt, but if your self-help videos aren't good enough to sell themselves without the need for subliminal messaging... then you'd probably be best getting a real job and not selling snake oil and preying on the weak.

Sorry if you're actually a proper self-help person, who has maybe studied in the field and has a degree in a similar area, but there's just so many dodgy characters out there who target people with low self-esteem/intelligence, and more money than sense, to part with their cash for a course that has a ten mile long sales page riddled with cliches... and not much more to show for it than a motivational tweet a day and whole host of positive phrases that anybody could make up.
LordEdington

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Stencil_Media

Postby Farmfield on 11/27/2014, 8:00 pm

LordEdington wrote: [...] a proper self-help person, who has maybe studied in the field and has a degree [...]

If you have a Ph.D. in self help, wouldn't you have helped yourself to a Ph.D. then? You would be your own pyramid scam. :D
Farmfield

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression