Best workflow - Premiere and AE

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

Best workflow - Premiere and AE

Postby Eyello on 08/27/2014, 6:38 am

Hey,

I have heavy performance issues with the workflow I am using and I want to know how I can solve this.
I am using After Effects Compositions inside of Adobe Premiere. The only thing is once the compositions get complex the performance inside of Premiere drops heavily.

I would like to know how I can pre-render the videos (in lower resolution?) or use placeholders or something to make it faster for the editing process.
Or should I even avoid to use AE Comps inside of Premiere?
Eyello

Re: Best workflow - Premiere and AE

Postby Farmfield on 08/27/2014, 9:55 am

Eyello wrote:Hey,

I have heavy performance issues with the workflow I am using and I want to know how I can solve this.
I am using After Effects Compositions inside of Adobe Premiere. The only thing is once the compositions get complex the performance inside of Premiere drops heavily.

I would like to know how I can pre-render the videos (in lower resolution?) or use placeholders or something to make it faster for the editing process.
Or should I even avoid to use AE Comps inside of Premiere?

It's really simple, you need to use the workflow you need to use to solve your performance issues, hehe... When your system bogs down and you know why/where, creating a proxy or even a full res render is often the way to go, no matter what apps and workflow. I've done 2 setups this year that was just impossible in terms of performance, the first an AE comp in 4k and the second a Nuke comp with a sh!tload of 3D setups and 1080p renders in png, tga & exr sequences with retimes and such, in the end I almost had a full res pre-render for every merge in the comp and still had a minute a frame render time, hehe...

On the other hand you can be happy you're not at Weta digital right now, DEEP-comping 4K 10 bit plates and multichannel EXR sequences at 48fps stereoscopic for the 3rd Hobbit film... :D
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Postby Eyello on 08/28/2014, 6:17 am

Well, on the other hand there is a Graphics power pland in the basement of Weta:)

You are right but what I am looking for is an answere on how I achieve this. I am not aware of all the features those programms have.
Maybe there is a preview function in eighter Premiere or AE, something like a proxy but in Premiere which I can render in the programm, lets say half the size or so. Like Right click on a clip and call Pre-Render, but that does not seem to exist.

I just want to make sure that the clips I have in my timeline are connected to the AE project. When I pre-render the AE project then I have a seperate video clip which I would have to place in the timeline and exchange later when I want the ful lresolution, that is the only way I know at the moment.

Thanks in advance.
Eyello

Postby Farmfield on 08/28/2014, 10:24 am

In After Effects, go to the assets bin and right click on a comp or footage and choose create Proxy... :)

Though I gotta say I prefer to do it manually, I usually just render the precomps out and re-import the footage, otherwise I have a tendency to forget where I used proxy's and I don't wanna risk getting into a situation where I think I rendered a final comp just to realize one or more assets are proxy's at 1/2 res. :P
*** Demos, RnD & tests: www.vimeo.com/farmfield ***
Farmfield

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression