First 5 seconds of my videos are bad quality. WTF?!

Premiere, Vegas, Final Cut, QuickTime, DVD authoring etc.

First 5 seconds of my videos are bad quality. WTF?!

Postby DJMKN on 12/7/2013, 6:35 pm

I've noticed in my recent videos, the first 5 seconds of them, it's bad/blurry/blocky quality, and then smooths out after 5 seconds. WTF?!
Any help/suggestions on this please?

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQCKc5GDJ8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCAJSi9OkEw
DJMKN

Re: First 5 seconds of my videos are bad quality. WTF?!

Postby al board on 12/8/2013, 2:09 pm

I would suggest you giving some information on how your videos were created. Are they bad/blurry/blocky after rendering them out on your computer or after uploading them to youtube? How do you render your video? One-pass encoding? Multi-pass encoding? What formats and codecs do you use and/or did you try?
al board

Postby DJMKN on 12/9/2013, 6:15 pm

al board wrote:I would suggest you giving some information on how your videos were created. Are they bad/blurry/blocky after rendering them out on your computer or after uploading them to youtube? How do you render your video? One-pass encoding? Multi-pass encoding? What formats and codecs do you use and/or did you try?

Blurry after rendering out of AE.
Render settings are:
Format: H.264
Codec: MainConcept H.264 Video
Profile: High
Level: 5.1

Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 1 Pass
Target & Max Bitrate: 18mbps

Any idea's?
DJMKN

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 12/10/2013, 7:50 am

Don't render h.264 out of After Effects. AE is really bad at rendering stuff like that. Either render to a lossless intermediate codec (Quicktime with the PNG codec, Cineform, DNxHD, etc.) and use the Adobe Media Encoder to make your final file or send your AE project directly to the Adobe Media Encoder.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby al board on 12/10/2013, 9:20 am

Thanks Michael, saved me a long reply. ;)
al board

Postby DJMKN on 12/11/2013, 5:18 am

Okay, thanks. Appreciate your reply.

After looking at other uploads though, I've noticed it's in fact after uploading to YouTube, the quality is bad for the first 5 seconds! WTF?!
DJMKN

Postby sandlapse on 01/30/2014, 11:20 pm

Michael_Szalapski wrote:Don't render h.264 out of After Effects. AE is really bad at rendering stuff like that. Either render to a lossless intermediate codec (Quicktime with the PNG codec, Cineform, DNxHD, etc.) and use the Adobe Media Encoder to make your final file or send your AE project directly to the Adobe Media Encoder.

I have always wondered what the best way to export from AE was... I've also never used Adobe Media Encoder. Do you mind directing me to a video that teaches this? When i look for exporting in AE, nobody shows Adobe Media Encoder settings.
sandlapse

Postby Michael_Szalapski on 01/31/2014, 12:53 pm

sandlapse wrote:Do you mind directing me to a video that teaches this? When i look for exporting in AE, nobody shows Adobe Media Encoder settings.

I don't know of any video to help you. There are so many different possibilities for video these days that there are countless "best settings" for countless end products. Plus, I've been doing professional video for over a decade, so it's hard to remember where I learned what anymore.

If you're uploading to YouTube, the Adobe Media Encoder has YouTube presets. Also, if that's not good enough, YouTube's help pages give you great directions on how to get the best quality from your uploads.
Michael_Szalapski

Twitter: thegreatszalam

Postby sandlapse on 02/5/2014, 9:25 pm

Michael_Szalapski wrote:
sandlapse wrote:Do you mind directing me to a video that teaches this? When i look for exporting in AE, nobody shows Adobe Media Encoder settings.

I don't know of any video to help you. There are so many different possibilities for video these days that there are countless "best settings" for countless end products. Plus, I've been doing professional video for over a decade, so it's hard to remember where I learned what anymore.

If you're uploading to YouTube, the Adobe Media Encoder has YouTube presets. Also, if that's not good enough, YouTube's help pages give you great directions on how to get the best quality from your uploads.

Thanks man ill have to check it out!
sandlapse

Return to Video Editing, Authoring & Compression